My Dwarf Seahorses :D

cynster

I have a 6 gallon nano with liverock and plastic plants with 10 seahorses (4 more on the way), a firefish, a peppermint shrimp, many snails, and a few tiny hermit crabs. Here are some pictures :)

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

chelseagrin

i would get the shrimp and crabs out of there. in act dwarf seahorses dont even do well with most live rock hitch hikers. when i had a 3 gallon seahorse pico i woke up and found a tiny shrimp, not even an eighth of an inch wide eating one of my horses. they dont do good with any crustacean around their size or larger.

also its not a good idea to have tankmates with these guys thats a little too much competition for food unless you put them into a separate aquarium during feeding time.

but other than that the tank looks great. the lighting is perfect for those guys and the black substrate always looks good in seahorse tanks in contrast to their body color. when i first saw it i thought it was a freshwater planted tank. those are some realistic plants.

chelseagrin

also you might want to get some more flow in there, just a air pump and stone would do the trick i can see a film on the waters surface. contrary to popular belief alot of seahorses can handle quite a bit of flow.

cynster

Oh - it shouldn't be a film, because that is glass on the top - the water literally goes all the way to the top (it's a fluval edge) :) There are bubbles getting trapped at the top from the sponge filter though - maybe that's what you are seeing? I used to have the flow higher but they weren't nearly as active and social with each other. I think I could get away with increasing it a little though :)

About the tankmates - they actually aren't going to be around long lol - the crabs are going to a new home as soon as a seahorse gets pregnant (I don't have another tank for them to go to, so I'm going to donate them to my LFS) - The peppermint shrimp generally stays in his rock, but if he starts getting out and bugging them, I'll donate him too. I'd like them to get a chance to eat any possible aiptasia left that I can't see or anything else in the rock.

chelseagrin

oh a fluval, great little tanks. yeah it wouldn't hurt to add some flow it looks a little stagnant but tank looks great!

DesertOrchid

Cute horses! Maybe I should think about giving them a try! They'd sure eat a lot less than my real horses did........ they weighed in at a mere 1400 and 1600 lbs. LOL! Loved em though.