My Confession

KodiakBear

Well, finally back from another uneventful diving trip. Came home to a pretty rough scene.
Not sure exactly what happened while I was gone. The Pocilliopora is dead. Was removed from the tank before I got home. The Acro isn't fairing much better. A lot of die off. At least three branches are completely gone.
My Calcium is 400ppm, alk is a little low at 2.0meq/L. Ammonia & trites = 0, trates are between 5-10 (not zero, but still not horrible), pH is same as it's always been. Temp is a steady 82F... Phosphates are way up! Tons of cyano all over EVERYTHING. Then again, so is the coraline (huge outbreak of coraline over everything the cyano ain't covering).
I'm thinking the little LED grow lights I added just weren't enough for them.
Right now I'm just going to frag off the portions that are still alive and try to trade the frags for something that doesn't need as much light.
Anyone have any tips for fragging small (1-1.5 inch) frags off of Acropora and mounting them?

What happened to this thread?... it just stopped?

Kodiak and Essence, I must say that this has been the most interesting thread I have experienced here at RS (no offense to anyone else, I'm new to the site). I have never read a story quite like that. I hope everything is going well with your tank. And, let's not forget the adorable catfishies (I hope they found good homes). Did you guys end up keeping one? Your foal is absolutely beautiful, although it is probably more of a pony (or a horse) by now. I don't know what this karma thing is all about but I believe that you reap what you sow. So here is karma to you for making me smile and laugh and cry (OK so I added that in for dramatic effect). Very entertaining thread. Keep up the great work!

Happy Reefing
~Jon

P.S. Kodiak, thank you especially for protecting most of here at RS and the rest of the country, By doing whatever it is you do 10,000 leagues below the sea in that tin can that is packed too tightly with smelly "sardines".
Here's to you. :clink: :apint:

KodiakBear

Certainti: I'm glad you enjoyed the read... The foal in the pic isn't ours though. Ours is due the second week of June and we're already antsy waiting for it.
Here's your update:
Since I'm expecting to recieve new orders within the next year, Essence and I have been trying to minimize EVERYTHING. We are trying to get down to just the essentials before having to move to Lord-knows-where (Guam has a few openings right now... As does Italy and Japan). Part of that included the 45gal tank (though we kept the 10). As for the catfish... Yes, we did keep one (bringing the total to 4 cats, 3 horses, 2 dogs, a bird, and the fish).
Once I get to wherever I'm going, I'll start another tank. This time a little more wisely. Take it a little slower, buy better equipment, make some myself, etc. etc. etc. (last part said in a siamese accent).
Sorry if I made ya'll think I dropped off the face of the world. I still check in from time to time, and am just a year away from getting a new tank, in a new state, and making a new chronicle... There's just no way i'd be able to do it without ReefSanctuary.

Last edited:

KodiakBear

here's the one we kept, all grown up now.
sleepy.jpg

pyro.jpg

new reefer 03

WOW,
that is the most interesting thread!
it took me atleast 30 minutes but i got all of it. awesome dude, and good luck on your nexr one :dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer:

KodiakBear

I've kinda been lurking in the shadows since the tear-down. I do spend a bit of time over in the off-topic forums now.
Come Friday I'm off to Rhode Island for 6 weeks at the Naval Science Institute (affectionately referred to as knife and fork school). From there I'll be off to Oregon State University to work on an electrical engineering and computer science degree before getting commissioned. Until I get settled again I'll be living vicariously through all of your tanks.

p.s. If there are any reefers in Oregon/Washington, hope you won't mind me stopping by occasionally to get my fix by drooling over your tanks!

lcstorc

Glad to hear things are going well.
If you get to the opposite side of the country (Florida), you can watch my tank any time you like.

KodiakBear

Well, I'm in Georgia now, been here for about 5 years now, but it's looking like at least another 5 before I can get back.

morbius18

I've kinda been lurking in the shadows since the tear-down. I do spend a bit of time over in the off-topic forums now.
Come Friday I'm off to Rhode Island for 6 weeks at the Naval Science Institute (affectionately referred to as knife and fork school). From there I'll be off to Oregon State University to work on an electrical engineering and computer science degree before getting commissioned. Until I get settled again I'll be living vicariously through all of your tanks.

p.s. If there are any reefers in Oregon/Washington, hope you won't mind me stopping by occasionally to get my fix by drooling over your tanks!

I'm In Olympia.

KodiakBear

well, quick update since I think I'll be back in this forum a bit more in the next few months:

the Mrs got pregnant, so I took a transfer from Oregon State to The Citadel (in Charleston, SC).
besure.jpg
and we had about a dozen tests to prove it

It has been crazy-busy between schoolwork, Navy stuff, and the whole experience of being a new father.

Boy do they grow up quick!
aidensaddle.jpg

Well, working towards getting back into the hobby, a little bit at a time. I actually think I've found a way to incorporate the reef obsession into my schoolwork. Nothing like indulging in an addiction and getting a grade for at the same time (no more guilt about looking at pictures of reef tanks online when I should be doing homework).

I might parallel post some stuff, but for the most part follow it here: Senior Project

JoeCanada11

Excellent. Nothing like getting back into the hobby. My children love our reef tank. And anytime they have friends over I spend alot of time answering questions. Mostly one question "what's that one called" asked over and over about everything in the tank lol.