my clowns hide in the back most of the time.

mos90

i have 2 occelaris clowns i added to my tank about 2 weeks ago. they appear to be healthy and they eat twice a day. the water parameters are good beside a slightly low ph 7.8-7.9.

99% of the time the hang out in the top back by the overflow return. i would think this is not normal behavior.

my tank is a 28gal jbj nano with cf lights. i added a korlia 420 nano powerhead for a little added circulation. i dont think the current is too strong.
id say its more of a medium current.

i added a frogspawn coral hoping they might host it eventually. but if they never leave their "spot" that isnt going to happen.

any ideas?

XeniaLee

I'm interested to hear with the other reefers say about this.

I have 2 clowns, and they used to be in front a lot, but now the female comes to the front, but the male is almost always behind the liverock. They both eat well, and look fine, but their behavoir seems odd to me.

DaveK

First check your clowns for any signs of disease, especially the usual ones ich, velvet, and clownfish disease. Most likely this is ok, but if they have problems here, then any other effort is wasted.

Give your clowns plenty of places to hide. They also like colt corals, and leather corals, and both area easy to keep.

Give them time. It can take months for them to finally figure out where they want to live. Don't try to rush things.

mos90

i didnt see any signs of disease,yet. im slowly stocking corals, 2 every 2 weeks. i will give them time, maybe they will get more comfortable with the addition of more coral.

Does it appear that they're hosting by the overflow? I've heard of fish hosting in powerheads before so maybe they've just set up home there? I'm assuming when you feed they come out?

tnwillia

Mine picked the back right corner as "their place" shortly after going into my tank and they keep most others out of that area. They come out and move around the tank but that is where the sleep and run to if they need to. Had mine for over 18 months,to me it's normal. Have fun!

mos90

They do move around the tank some but for the most part they stay by the overflow. I guess we will see if they decide to move