My Clown Tang Turned!

Kirblit

Well it finally happend. My Clown Tang decided to bully my female Clown fish (turned on his own circus buddy LOL) and put a pretty good gash in here side and now she isn't eating much. Needless to say I'm PSSSSSSST off. I didn't want to get the tang in the first place but my wife talked me into it. It's a shame really because it's a really healthy fish and a beauty. They are all in QT right now in hypo, again (didn't work the first time due to me going out of town and trusting someone to use a refractometer and keep the salinity constant in my place, whole other story) so I can't trade in the Clown Tang until it's finished so I used some egg crate and separated the tangs from the Clown fish so that she can hopefully heal. I have had the Clown Tang for 7 months and he has been a model citizen up till now. I guess he's just getting older and staking out his territory. I knew going in that it was an aggressive fish and watched him like a hawk.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about the injured clownfish but don't give up on him!

I once had a blue damsel (loved this fish) in my reef and it too got a very, very deep gash (probably also from a tang). As a matter of fact, the injury was SO bad I tried to catch it so I could humanly euthanize it. Luckily I could not catch it because eventually it healed up with just a scar to show for it:) The fish didn't eat for over a week and was very lethargic (unless I tried to catch it) for several weeks. I would have bet a lot of money it was going to die... but it lived! So, don't give up on your clownfish :D

Kirblit

I won't give up. I have had this pair for almost 2 years and they are my babies. I will do anything I can to nurse her back to health. I think that she will pull through the wound already looks better after just a couple of days. At least the hypo will have a good benefit for this as well, glad I didn't use copper. I just wish that I could have been one of the lucky one's with this tang as it really is a cool fish.

Kirblit

Well my Clown fish is eating again as of Sat. and she is swimming around more normally. The cut is still pretty bad as there is a gap between the flesh and it will probably take some time to heal.

I think that I will add a less aggressive tang for my next fish after the Clown Tang is gone. I think I'm going to go with a Naso. The only other tang that I have is a Kole and I think that they should get alone fine. Any input from anyone about this choice?

SubRosa

The fish will get along fine until the Naso out grows the tank.You can't really blame the Clown for being a (WORD DELETED).It's what they are!Another fish that like the Naso really needs a BIG tank, albeit for different reasons.

BoomerD

Sadly, you're NOT going to change the clown tang's nature...They're as bad or worse than Sohal tangs for aggressive behavior, and often, have to be the ONLY fish in a tank...(or they'll make it so)
Beautiful fish...but those stripes should be horns...they're evil monsters...

Kirblit

Well my Clown fish is all healed up now and everything seems to be back to normal, aside from a scar to remind me never to get another Clown Tang. I'm still looking for a 200g+ so that I could keep the tang in his own tank, I really like this fish despite what he did.