My Clarkii Clownfish broke the rules!!!

TomV

I got a Condy Anemone recently. It was white at first, but after feeding it a little, it started to color up. Now, it seems my Clarkii Clown has taken to hosting it! I've been watching for signs of stress, shrinking, etc. But it seems to have colored up even more now with the clown! It's weird that the clown chose to host this Anemone that is supposedly one that clowns don't take to! :dunno: :)

I've check on several websites for any danger to the anemone or the clown with their union. I didn't find anything.

It's funny to watch the clown react to passers-by when he's next to his home! He goes in the tentacles and wiggles around as if to say: "Don't you even think about messing with MY anemone!"

He's been feeding the Anemone as well. :)

Here's a pic. Mind the grainy quality. I need a new Camera. My tank isn't as dirty as this pic makes it look like.

DSCF2572a.jpg

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I have heard reports that occasionally clowns will host this anemone even though it's from a different region than they. Heck, clowns host with all kinds of unusual partners, clam mantles, soft and long tenticle corals etc. There is a risk of the amemone not recognizing the clown and eating it! This doesn't seem to be the case with your love duo! Kudos!

had the same thing happen with a Gold stripe maroon clown but just like every other anemone ive given him he slowly niped the tentacles down to stubbs and killed it

It took the longest for him to kill the caribbean condy anemone

Snelly40

congrats, nice.
my clown right now is in a dliemma between a Rose BTA and a new long tentacle plate coral that i have.
It is great to watch though huh

Cougra

As Dentoid mentioned, you should be more concerned about the anemone eating the clown then the fact that the clown is nestling nicely in it's new host as the Atlantic anemone isn't used to this type of activity and may possibly see the clown as food. Clowns have a strong instinct to seek out anemones or corals that look/act similar to anemones for living quarters!

I hope everything works out for your clown and anemone! Keep us updated on what happens long term!

TomV

I'll keep an eye on them. Everything seems ok for now.

Thanks. :)

If the clown eventually does the anemone in, I may look into getting him a bubble tip or something along those lines. Now that I'm using Metal Halide lights at 6 watts per gallon, my options seem to be alot more open these days! ;)

R.yumaDaddy?

It will most likely stress and kill the anamone. Exact same thing happened to me when I first started reefkeeping w/ a clarkii and a condy.