My Chalice collection begins...

MarvinsReef

well, I've been bitten by the chalice bug... I started looking into these corals more and more early this year... I've always kept one or two chalice(s) in the past so sorta know how to keep them alive and thriving... LoLz... I plan to track the progression of my chalice collection in this thread... I have decided to keep around 10 morphs of chalices in my tank... the hunt began and is still currently going on... I've collected these so far... :)

Original Mummy Eye....

07-09-08
Orig_ME_07-09-08.jpg

11-20-08
Orig_ME_11-20-08.jpg

02-18-09
Orig_ME.jpg

*** we fragged this colony on 02-25-09... we ended up with about 8 frags... all of them had at least 1 eye... being this the first frag session, I didn't know better and had the new frags exposed to med flow... expensive lesson... lost almost all of the frags... probably saved 3 frags... had to have a friend babysit them for me... :( :( I will take an updated pic of the colony as it sits in my tank currently...

MarvinsReef

RSC Rainbow -- 03-04-09
RSC_Rainbow.jpg

Pink Boobies -- 03-24-09
PB.jpg

Tyree Pink WM -- 03-24-09
Tyree_PinkWM.jpg

Frag Farmer Red WM -- 04-02-09
FF_RedWM.jpg

** I have a few more to hopefully add in the next coming months... I'm gonna try to enjoy these guys for now... :)

Adam Black

Great Growth Marvin. Are Chalice usually fast growers? They remind me alot of capricornis. Never ever owning one I wouldn't know what I'm talking about though. Can you just break pieces off to frag or do you need to take a dremel to them? Also looks like they can just grow right over sand with nothing underneath them? Sorry.

MarvinsReef

Great Growth Marvin. Are Chalice usually fast growers? They remind me alot of capricornis. Never ever owning one I wouldn't know what I'm talking about though. Can you just break pieces off to frag or do you need to take a dremel to them? Also looks like they can just grow right over sand with nothing underneath them? Sorry.
it really depends on which chalice morph... normally, the prettier, the slower grower it is... LoLz... they do have a skeleton that the skin grow over... you will need an equipment to frag... some uses dremmel with diamond blade but I have seen better methods of fragging with the introduction of wet saws... my friend has one and he helps me frag... I'm gonna own one sooner or later, just because it's easier and less stressful for corals when fragging... thanks for stopping by... :)

i want a boobie so bad, lol. the pink boobies are stunning.... do you do trades?
i have the Reef Ready reverse watermelon almost ready to frag...

molsen187

those are some beautiful shots. are they easy to care for? do they suck up a lot of calcium? i've always wanted to get some but am nervous i wouldn't be able to keep them alive.

Rhodes19

Wow those are beautiful and the colors are increadable. Anything with boobies in it has my attention. :) Time to start doing some research on chalices. Thanks for sharing.

OneLove87

those are great what is needed in order to establish one in a tank, i have t-5s, 2 korilia 2s and a korilia 1, will be running carbon in my phosban reactor as soon i really get involved with sps