My BTA Split

angnak

I was waiting for my BTA to split for a couple of months, because it was huge. About 1' round. I was getting very excited when it started to show some signs of splitting. Then it moved to the back of the tank and I thought it is going to split or die because it has not moved since I got it about 6 months ago. Crap, I gotta go out of town. So I was hoping it would wait so I could see it happen. I got back and had two of them!!!! Anyway, is there anything special I need to do? I feed them after a couple of days. They are doing fine The larger one went back to the same spot it was in and the other one is right behind it. If you don't look closely you would swear it was only one BTA.

ctiq21

Cool. I have had a couple of BTA's. They weren't that large, but both of them split. The bad thing was that after they split none of the them survived. I would make sure you feed them often and they should do fine.

Got a pic?

angnak

:LOL: Caja. Just a little to attatched to it to part with either one of them.

73102_0294.jpg

This is a picture my wife took the day after. They have since moved a lot closer together. I hope mine doesn't go the way yours did ctiq21. Thanks for the advice.

jimeluiz

Very cool. Congrats.:thumbup:

When our RBTA split it did just fine, and continues to do so. No extra care needed, but we have two Perculas who help with care and feeding. A couple of days after the split I did make sure to spot feed some shrimp. But nothing special thereafter.

Good luck.

(And you could go back to edit your above post - you are missing a close-bracket on your first image tag - That should get the pic to show up.) ;)

RanRoc

congrats! I've had my BTA for close to two years now...8-9 inches across. No signs of splitting yet. Was there anything in particular that you did to coax it to split (eg, water quality, temp, etc.)? I hope mine will split sometime soon. What kind of lighting do you have?
-RY

Brucey

Out of interest .... what's the interest in making a BTA split. Mine's about 10" now and looks just fantastic .... hope he doesn't split otherwise I'll have 3 big anenomes in my tank and too be honest, 2 is more than enough.
Brucey

angnak

Thanks Gina.

RanRoc - There was nothing in-particular that I did. Water quality is fine, no new PHs, nothing out of the norm. I currently have about 760w of PC on a 92 corner tank. I am just hoping that me putting them in my 210 with 1390w of MH and VHO will be okay. It is a little less wattage than I currently have per gallon. Temp stays at about 78-79 deg. Hopefully yours will split soon. What tipped me off is that it's mouth seemed to be "moving" towards the edge and getting bigger and odd shaped. Like I said earlier, it was either splitting or it was going to die.

Brucey, I am not sure of an interest in it but I just like mine a lot and am glad I have two now. Plus I heard that good water quality promotes them to split, so it kind of makes me feel good about my water. Currently they are in a 92 corner tank but will soon be in my 210 gal tank when my lights come in so I hope I have enough time to enjoy them before they take over. I plan on having a few corals in my 210 but nothing major so hopefully they won't intrude too much on my other corals.

Brucey

angnak .... No, good on you bud, glad it has worked out for you. Mine keeps looking like it is going to split, that is the foot comes up and sometimes he splays himself in a Y shape but not seen anything yet. Anyway, I'm kinda like him the way he is. Good luck with your new tank matey

RanRoc

Brucey, for myself I am more interested in observing the various facets of life in a captive system. I've had my tank for over ten years, but have only become interested in the last few years in really actually trying to maintain the organisms and witness/observe various biological processes rather than having a cool looking tank with colorful fish (although having a cool looking tank is also cool). I think that being able to witness an anemone split is a special moment that brings on new opportunities and challenges, which is what makes this hobby so interesting to me. :)
-RY

angnak

Yeah, what RanRoc said. No but seriously, I am very interested in the "small" things that go on in a tank also.

blue_eyes53813

My BTA is huge and I wish it would split. It is getting to touchy feely with the corals around it. I would like it to split so I could trade some of it off.

I was curious what the signs are. The mouth of this one is so wide and sometimes has a bubble look to it. Are there anymore signs?

addict

The only sign that I've noticed that mine are going to split is they start going walkabout... usually to the side of the rock they normally perch on. Then they split, hide for a couple of days then return to the top.
I've witnessed 3 separate splits with mine (resulting in 8 total BTA's) and that's about the only common thread I've noticed... sometimes the mouth moved over, sometimes they split right through the mouth, and sometimes they split into quarters. :eek:
I've traded in 2 anemones to the LFS and still have 6 of them in my tank... I think a couple more are going in when I do the tank changeover.

angnak

I am sorry blue_eyes53813 for not answering sooner. I had to go out of town. But what reefer addict said was true of mine also. It moved to the back and the mouth seemed to move towards the side. That was about it.