My all natural 50gallon rebuild

jesse92

A couple of months ago I made the mistake of letting someone other than my self take care of my tank while I went a way for a short time. Well long story short i came home to a disaster, the salinity was through the roof, nuisance algae everywhere, few dead corals and a tang and clownfish pair dead within days of my return:cursin: From this disaster i decided to start afresh and completely renovate my tank. I decided I wanted to make a system that was as natural as possible and try out some new corals.
First thing I'm gonna try is a turf scrubber instead of a protein skimmer.
btw how do i post pics?

jesse92

well here's some pictures of the filthy algae covered tank..I took all the fish, corals, inverts, rock and substrate out, emptied the tank, cleaned off all the algae and painted the back of the tank blue to really try and make the tank look like a slice of the ocean, heres some pics to show how bad the tank is
the emptied tank
tank_reno_1.JPG

tank_reno_2.JPG

Alot of algae
tank_reno_3.JPG

the painted tank and beginning the refill
tank_reno_4.JPG

jesse92

well the tank is now filled with water and LR but is really murky and yuk at the moment so its pretty hard to scape.
tank_reno_5.JPG

Let the aquascaping begin! still a bit hazy
tank_reno_6.JPG

tank_reno_7.JPG

im really hoping to get lots of coralline algae on the LR. Ive put lots of scrapings in the tank and have a few covered rocks, any tips to increase growth? Also I have a sea urchin and was wondering it will eat coralline algae.

jski711

Some urchins will eat coraline. As far as helping the coraline grow just keep yr parameters in check and it will grow. Hth