My 55gal FOWLR

Robzilla

So I'm not sure if this goes here or in reef chronicles but I wanted to start this anyway.

I have a 55 FOWLR setup that I am completely obsessed with. However, it took an act of aggression on my Wrasse's part to start writing this all down so anything that happens to me can hopefully answer a question for someone else like so many others have done for me on here.

So my setup is a 55gal FOWLR containing:

Lunare Wrasse named Peepshow (my favorite fish)

Tomato Clown named Kanye (she's an ass, hence the name)

Valentini Puffer (Puff Daddy for obvious reasons)

Domino Damsel (Curtis aka 50cent because he's black as hell and white spots make him look like he was shot a few times)

Blue Saphire Damsel (Chingy because he acts tough but is really a wimp)

CUC: many Mexican Turbos, an Abalone Snail, a few Nassarius Snails, and a Sand Sifting Starfish named Ziggy Starfish. I had a few crabs but Peepshow ate them.

*If you are wondering about the music related names, I worked in recording studios for about 10 years....don't know why most of them have rapper names.

In an earlier post I wrote about Kanye looking pretty beat up. After catching the culprit (Peepshow) I removed Kanye from the DT. I'm probably going to have to donate her to my LSF for a new home. If it continues, I will have to get rid of Peepshow.

Here are some quick shots to hold people over while I get a few things organized within the tank.

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0060-1.jpg

Peepshow is hyper and may be impossible to get a good shot of him.

Robzilla

Pictures will never do justice to just how brilliant the yellow, blue, and purple are on Peepshow. The last picture shows the fin damage to Kanye. All fins are chewed up. Poor girl.

Robzilla

I created my own blue LED moonlight last night. It creates an amazing soft blue shimmer when all the lights are off. I have not drilled into my light fixture yet so right now it is just hanging. I can't wait to see it once it hits the reflectors. It doesn't produce enough light to get a picture on my phone's camera. I will try to get pictures of it on here asap.

I based the idea off this thread:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/19748-make-your-own-moon-lights-less-than-1-a.html
but I went with a single 5volt LED

Robzilla

Sure thing, just need to clean a few things and will try to get some better pics. I want one of my wrasse if only he would just sit still!

Robzilla

So a few new things have been added.

In addition to the DIY moonlight display, I added a dripline for fresh water top off and I got my JBJ Submariner UV Sterilizer installed. I will also be getting my custom CUC from reefcleaners.com (AMAZING service btw) on wednesday.

I have also had a few issues with algae. Can anyone help identify these?

The brown algae is recent and seems as if it is made of jello. ID?
IMAG0063.jpg

The green stuff does not grow long at all and is only on two rocks. Is it turf?
IMAG0062.jpg

More updates soon to come!

Robzilla

Also drawing up plans for a sump/fuge but won't implement until I move in May. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Last edited:

Robzilla

New addition to the family:

IMAG0064.jpg

I needed something in the CUC that is Wrasse-proof and I found it. My friend found out I have a tank and gave it to me for free!

Robzilla

ReefCleaners package arrived! Will acclimate and post pics when I get home. Most helpful website/businessman EVER. Thanks John.

PS I named the urchin Iron Maiden if anyone gets the reference to this creature and my tank.

Robzilla

All the critters from ReefCleaners were introduced successfully, though it really made the fish confused as hell. At first they all stayed in a pile, but as soon as the lights went off it was a race around the tank! Pics will have to come tomorrow.

Robzilla

So I got home from work and noticed that my tank was at 84 degrees! No Bueno! So as part of the solution I decided to do away with the glass tops. I am finishing up a DIY top made of gutter guard and plastic window framing. It's a little sloppier than I'd like but it will do until I make a new one in a few months when I move and can relocate all my HOB equipment to a sump. This will allow the tank to breathe better and allow for more light to pass with less salt creep.

Robzilla

So, a few big changes have been made. My urchin is dead. I came home and there were spines everywhere because the wrasse ate him. After an hour and a half of picking up spines with tweezers I decided enough was enough. The wrasse and clown are gone and domino damsel is next. I have decided to transition into a peaceful tank with the arrival of an Orange back fairy wrasse and a foxface. The plan is to be able to add coals once I move. Bring on the peace!

Last edited:

QuentinB

You know, I've surfed this site way too often in the last two weeks, I don't know how I've missed your thread here!

Looks great, love the columns in the back! Bummer about the urchin though, glad you've got a game plan! We took a hawkfish back because it was too aggressive, and we're still undecided on what all we want to stock our tank with... I do like Foxface(s) though, should look great in there!

Tagging along, have fun!

Robzilla

Thanks QuentinB. I was thinking about painting the back a while ago but the background grew on me. It helps the colors of the fish stand out more. And the one thing I have learned on RS, if nothing else, is to plan plan plan. Thanks for tagging along!

Catran, I will get another one and keep the name. I removed all the damsels too. It is already nice to have no stress and a small bio load! I can't wait til I move so j can get corals.

catran

Cool, you'll have to start over because you're in the FOWLR forum. You should start a chronicle and show the whole move!!
RIP Iron Maiden I

Robzilla

Yeah I will start a new thread with the move. I'm keeping it as fowlr until then, even though I would love to get corals now. PATIENCE ROB!!!!

DesertOrchid

I missed this thread too.....found it via the Fairy wrasse question. Sorry to hear about your urchin.... I didn't realize those lunare wrasses were THAT indestructible/destructable to be able to get at the urchin like that. I could see a short spined one but that looked really fierce. Sad you had to part with those fish but you will be much happier with the peace in your tank. I had to donate my tomato clown as it was a biter! Took a chunk out of my fingers every chance it got. I put it in a bigger tank with a monstrous maroon clown and thought it would settle down. It may have tried but the maroon was taking bites out of it faster than I could catch it to move it back to the qt tank. Sheesh! Peace again reigns in my fishy world.... for the moment :O

Robzilla

Yeah my Tomato Clown was bad too. The wrasse kept him in check, but before and after was pretty bad. I was so amazed when I saw the spines everywhere. I just couldn't believe he got through all them to get to his meal. My tank is amazing now and I love not having to worry about who is being the biggest bully of the day. The MMA fighter in me wanted a predator tank, but every day becomes more and more enjoyable with the reef-ready tank.

Robzilla

Woohoo! Just scored a 38g tank on sale for less than a 20g! Leak tested already and measured for sump compartments. Ordering my Eshopps overflow and return pump on Friday!