My 550 litre marine conversion

Adrienne

Been meaning to post in here for a couple of months having spent the rest of my time on this forum under Beginners and Red Sea Max.

In 2008 I purchased a second hand, ex marine tank from Napier and duly collected it in a furniture trailer. It came with a sump however I had no interest in marines and duly converted it to a freshwater tropical, eventually removing the sump and putting in an FX5 cannister filter. Discus, followed by Rainbowfish and back to discus saw the tank change around until October 2015 when hubby and I decided the Red Sea Max C-250 was not big enough and we would start a second tank.

Images of how the tank looked early 2009 - Oct 2015

The tank was sent off to be re-siliconed and I set to work stripping down the existing stand and hood which had been varnished and then stained, bringing it back to the natural pine colour and then staining it with clear varnish.

A sump was built to specifications and along with an ATO made from glass was placed in the cabinet.

An internal overflow was built into the tank as I didn't want it drilled.

Just before New Year the LED lighting unit, 2 x wavemakers, skimmer, pump and ato unit arrived. Exciting!

This brought with it the requirement to do some electrical work around our house as the circuit the tank was to be on was already known to trip the odd time. Fortunately my son-in-law is an electrician and today he ran a wire from another circuit in the house through our ceiling and down the wall behind the tank. The tank sits near a doorway and a small hall cupboard sits just through the wall. His suggestion, which I happily agreed to was to run all the electrical cables through the wall to a set of plugs which would keep the living areas tidy.
lounge wall

lounge wall completed

hall cupboard

The chiller is still to be plugged in to the wall socket as is a heater.

Next on the plan is the plumbing which is currently being worked on. The system will allow for reactors, dosing pumps etc to be added if needed without any great effort.
I will keep this thread updated as more work is done.

Adrienne

Yesterday the plumbing in was nearly completed :) Wires still look messy as I am still making a decision on whether to place the controllers on the outside left end of the tank and leave them uncovered or if I place them in a type of cupboard screwed on to the end of the tank stand. The ATO controller will be placed on the right hand end, above the chiller which is not in the stand.

rear plumbing let hand side of tank

rear plumbing right hand side of tank

close up of sump area

from a distance

Plumbing - The pump manifold has 4 outlets, 2 returns, 1 to the chiller and 1 spare. The pump is a DCS9000 with controller to regulate the flow and each outlet has a valve. I can regulate the flow through the sump at any flow rate I wish. The two returns have 3/4 inch loc-line duck nozzles, one on either side of the overflow so the current can be directed anywhere within the tank.

Lighting - Malibu 300+ Meanwell driver 300 watts

Skimmer - Coral Box 500 specs here if you are interested - http://www.fish-street.com/coral_box_d500_dc_skimmer

Chiller - Hailea HC 500A

Wave makers - 2 x Jebao RW8 - description here if you want to read it - https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/jebao-rw-8/

Heater - Weipro AC Aquarium Heater 500 watts (titanium with external controller)

ATO - Coral Box TCA200

Clint24

Congrats on the new tank set up. [emoji4]. I really wish I new a good electrician that would help me out with all the wires in my stand!! I will follow along if u don't mind. Good luck on the journey!! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk