My 55 gallon build

So Im new here so I decide to start a thread about my tank build to help me keep up with everything and for everyone to see the progress. Right now I just bought a 55 gallon tenecor acryllic aquarium with a 5 gallon sump. I also have some Catalina 48" Lights that are 4x64 watss. They are power compacts. I just ordered a Eshopps psk-100 skimmer, Maxi jet 1800 utility pump (for my return), and two koralia one powerheads...so I'm waiting for those before I get some LR, Water, and sand. One questions though.....I have a guy who lives close to me offering to give me some of his water because he is due for a water change. I would be getting around 40 gallons of cycled water and would buy the rest from my lfs since I do not have an RO filter. Would it be smart to just buy all new water or get some that has already been in a aquarium. Any extra tidbits anyone wants to throw my way would be awesome
Thanks....

Heres a few pics...

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

It will be a basic reef tank, maybe a small tang and some clowns...I wanna stick with just some hardy corals until my lights are upgraded. I am going to pick up 70lbs of tonga live rock this week as soon as my stuff comes in

So I turned my kitchen into a preparation place for the aqaurium LOL

I just picked up 70lbs of tonga live rock today and its running in a 20 gallong tub with my pcs, heater, and two powerheads and the sink has my RO filter makin water. I hope the rest of my stuff comes in to so i can get this thing going Friday!!!!!!
This is what the tonga rock looked like before he broke his tank down...
tongarock.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

thank you,

so I just looked in my live rock tub to see if I could find anything and I found two hitch hiker hermit crabs :) lol i sat there and watched them for like a good 15 minutes. I feel like that might be a good sign if the hermit crabs made the trip. I feel like im officially addicted now!

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
looking good!!

I am glad to see someone else with rock in a tub ;) my better half is not impressed since it is sitting in the kitchen till the tank is set up. Lol you can imagine my grief. :)

The hermits are a good sign, thanks for sharing.

Eric

Question??
Do I need qt the first fish I put in the tank after the cycling is through? For instance should I go ahead and set up my tank and qt tank and let the tank cycle and the fish in the qt process at the same time???

The tank should be set up tomorrow ill post pics then

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I would QT the fish just incase while the tank cycles as you mentioned, you don't want to introduce ick it's a pain in the ace to get rid of. :)