My 40B Chronicle - lots of pictures

ChrisOaty

Well, since I moved into my apartment I have had my 40 breeder out of commission and have since kept a little 10 gallon nano with a little DIY cree led fixture, about 15 lbs of liverock, a black and white clown, and a scroll coral. Started itching again and so I asked the front office if a fish tank would be okay on the 3rd story of my apartment building. They said it should be fine and others have kept much larger tanks (hope I won't need to ever use my renter's insurance). Anyway, my grandfather-in-law is a retired master carpenter and wanted to help me build a stand. I drew up a bunch of plans on Sketch-up and settled on a 3/4" plywood stand with a little interior bracing made of 1x2s. Reason for this is because I have a 29 gallon sump that I really like and wanted ample room inside to fit it as well as get it in and out if I need. I decided to widen the front-to-back dimension in order to be able to fit the sump in through a side door. Anyway, enough blabbing. Here's what I've got so far.

photo2.jpg
photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg
photo4.jpg

photo6.jpg
photo7.jpg

So now I'm stuck on the color of the doors and molding. The furniture in the room is mostly dark brown/cherry wood. So I was thinking of just painting the doors black as well and the moulding a dark brown to match a cherry wood color. I'd love to be able to get some hard wood molding and stain it, but that is much more expensive. The doors will sit inside the openings, flush with the faces of the stand. Molding will hang 1/4" over the doors to hide the gap between the doors and the opening. The top is missing because I'm working on an LED setup that will be mounted to it (I have the power supplies, just need the LEDs and optics). I want to incorporate a simple switch that will turn off the main tank LEDs so they won't blind me when I need to open the hood, and turn on a couple task lights fixed to the sides of the hood aimed down. If anyone has any suggestions/comments/concerns, I'm all ears.

As for my plans for this tank; filtration will be covered within the 29 gallon sump by an ATS and moving bed filter with K1 media (if anyone knows of better/cheaper/stateside products like this please chime in). I'll employ a filter sock and run Purigen as well as a DSB of about 4.5 inches. The return pump for now is just a cheap-o rio 1700 but I'll likely be grabbing a mag 9.5 before this tank is ready for livestock. I already have about 40lbs of very good/porous rock that's been curing for about a week. I suspect it'll be another 2 before I'll be adding it to this tank. I'd like to achieve a color temperature in the 14k range which I think can be had with a 3:2 ratio of royal blue:cool white LEDs.

My black and white clown will get a mate as soon as he's ready to be introduced to the 40B. Other inhabitants that I plan on getting are a BSJ, Mandarin, Blue tang, 6 line wrasse. I know the list is very generic, but it's a list I put together with my family, and the colors vary well. I'd love to have a dwarf flame angel but I'm not quite sure if he'll play nicely with the coral I plan to have. I have my scroll, I'd like the middle and top sections to be dominated by sps, a clam and some lps and softies on the bottom, and perhaps a few zoa colonies. I've had varying success with sps in the past so I'll start with the stuff that's hard to kill like the zoas. One day I'd like to get a RBTA for the clowns, but I know I'll need to wait a while for that. I've had one in the past with success (admittedly I jumped into it prematurely), but had to give it up when I moved. I just wasn't comfortable keeping it in a 10 gallon nano.

Anyway, I'll be keeping this updated as I progress. My next step is throwing the tank and sump on/in the stand and getting the rock cycling with some new water. It should be an exciting few days next weekend!

ChrisOaty

Lol addicted to pics...i cant figure out how to make the pictures bigger. How does everyone post beautiful large pictures on this forum? When I use photobucket, this is the default size...

Singlefin

Nice. Just build the stand for my 40b and 20l sump. Still need to skin it. Wish I had a master carpenter to help. Definitely not one of my strong points.

Yes....

ChrisOaty

Just takes planning, patience, and the right tools. An update is overdue! So I've been cycling this 40B for about 2 weeks filled up to about 35 gallons now and the ammonia has dropped to undetectable levels and my nitrites have done the same. My nitrates are sitting around 5-10 but I just finished the plumbing for the sump which includes an algae scrubber that should take care of that problem. Here are a few pictures. I built my sump a while back but it's a good design. I'll explain the plumbing. This is a herbie style overflow, with the full siphon on the right. This splits into the left pipe going to a moving bed filter in the rear left chamber which overflows into a media tray that I am yet to build in the front left. The bubble trap is next, followed by a 5.5 inch deep sand bed and refugium, then to the pump chamber. Over the pump chamber I'm going to place a submerged piece of eggcrate and foam to help with any microbubbles. From that same full siphon, it splits right, controlled by another separate gate valve to a tray which will house a semi-horizontal algae turf scrubber. I know this is a very inefficient design, but I'll help it along as much as possible with a red led fixture and good flow. This was the only way to fit a turf scrubber in as the sump is quite tall and left little vertical space. If the small turf scrubber cannot keep up with the bioload I have planned, I will get rid of the media tray chamber and add a skimmer. As always, questions/suggestions are more than welcomed.
Photo11.jpg
Photo10.jpg
Photo9.jpg

ChrisOaty

Not yet. Finishing up the doors this weekend. I'm adding shelving to them as there is about 6-7 inches between the sump and the front of the stand...badly needed space given the size of the sump in the stand. I'm thinking of painting the doors the same black and trimming everything with brown. Still unsure. I'll post pictures up Sunday. By then the sump should be running and I should have the doors on.

ChrisOaty

Photo12.jpg
Photo13.jpg

Here are a couple pics of what I've finished so far. I added some shelving to the inside of the front doors, painted and mounted them. I ran out of paint for the side doors, so I'll have to take a trip to the hardware store to grab a few things. I don't think I'll be adding any shelving to the right side door and the left door I may turn into an electrical box to house my outlets, timers, and cables. I've ordered the LEDs for the hood and I've already got a 23" x 4.25" heatsink to house the 36 3W LEDs as well as the 3 drivers required to run them. I've got an old computer fan controller with 4 10k pots that I'm thinking of mounting to the cabinet as well (1 for each driver and another for the fans themselves). More updates to come as I still need to add the molding. I think I've decided that I'd like to buy nice hardwood molding instead of the cheap pressboard stuff so that I may stain it a nice dark cherry color. What do you all think?

Last edited:

ChrisOaty

Thanks! It was an easy way to create more storage space since the sump takes up almost the whole footprint within the stand itself.

Blue Space

nice work! Can't thank your grandfather enough! ;) And you're right. It will look nicer with hardwood molding. Looks like you're cycling so it won't be long now until we get some pics of the new livestock. Any ideas? :D

ChrisOaty

Thank you! And yes, I do have some livestock picked out. I know it's only a 40B so I wanna get as much color out of it as possible. First, I've had a black and white clown named Coheed, for a while. He's a tank, been through a few different tanks and is as healthy as can be. I know everyone's got clowns, but their curious personality is undeniably infectious. Someday in the future when my tank is absolutely rock solid stable, I'll get him a RBTA to call him and his future mate (Cambria) home. So that will be my next addition. About 20-25 lbs of the rock in there right will have been from my nano which has been up for 6 months. I'm not sure what order the rest of my livestock will come in but I plan on introducing a mandarin when I've got a thriving pod population, and a BSJF. I may also get a copper banded butterfly, but I may get a clam instead...I haven't decided yet. I'd love a blue tang, but I know the tank is too small for it. Any suggestions for a reef safe blue fish?

Brady92

nice stand i do have a question how much room did you leave on the back of the dt for plumbing maintenance i am planning on building one similar and how are you liking it so far

ChrisOaty

I absolutely love my stand. I built it with about 3" between the back of the DT and the rear panel of the stand. This allows tons of room for whatever size pvc i want as well as cords hidden easily by painting the back of the tank black. After building a stand for this tank in my last house, I found that I needed to pull the tank away from the wall 3 inches or so anyway...leaving a large gap with unsightly plumbing and cords exposed. This time around, if i incorporate something to remedy this, I can shove the stand right up to the wall. Google SketchUp was a HUGE help to me. Planned everything out digitally and made the cuts. Everything fit as planned.

bmplank86

Has been struck by the ban stick
I use MS paint to stretch/skew pictures to resize them. Although it might be a little blurry lol

---

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisOaty

There's plenty of space in my sump/refugium to house a thriving pod population, but the point is to have that in the display tank for my prospective mandarin. I think any pods going through the pump would be chopped up...so I was thinking of making a thin box to put above my tank in the back edge with a powerhead in the overflow to hold some chaeto and a colony of pods that will overflow into the DT...what do you think? Kinda like this:
HOBPlans1.jpg