My 28 Gallon Nano Journy

leslie

Just and update....my fish and corals are doing wonderful! Everything looks so beautiful in that tank!!!! So proud of it!

yungreefer2410

The sand bed can be as deep as you want it to be. The depth doesn't matter unless you are going to have a animal that burrows through it. I like mine from 1-3" deep

leslie

So far my fish and corals look great. The only problem that I am still seeing is flatworms. I really, really dont want to put flatworm exit into it! Is this going to be my only option if I want to get rid of them? I can add anymore fish. I already have four in there. HELP!!!!

leslie

We checked all the paramiters in our tank and they are perfect! I really think the mico algae is helping with keeping the nitrates down! We are going to change the crushed coral to sand after we take care of the flatworms. We bought some flatworm exit to get rid of them. We are going to try and put a sock on the end of the tube to catch all the flatworms and pump the water back in and continue to suck as many out as we can after they all die. I know this is going to be difficutt, but we have to get rid of these flatworms, we are getting more and more. Does anyone know if the flatworm exit will kill our brittle starfish??

leslie

Does anyone think the plan we have for getting rid of the flatworms is a good one? Also, do they hide in the crushed coral bed? Will we need to suck that out really good as well when we do the flatworm exit? And will this kill our small brittle starfish we have living in our rocks and corals???

LSUFireGal

Your tank looks great. I have no advice bc I am new to this, but I just wanted to say you have an amazing cube there. I just bought a 14 gallon from a guy locally. I love it. My son was insisting on sleeping downstairs by the 68 gallon, but now he will stay upstairs with this little tank. Lol.

Mine has a jawfish that likes to move sand and if you plan on having anything like that I wouldn't have anything deeper than 3 inches. That little guy can move some sand. He piles it up all the time. I have some zoas that I constantly have to uncover. My sand bed is about 2.5 inches deep.

leslie

Yeah that is about the depth we are going to go with. No deeper. The clowns should not move the sand around, and those are the only fish in the tank. And Thank you very much for your compliment. We worked very hard to get it back to the way it is now. I found out one thing, a larger salt water tank is easier to keep than a smaller one. Keep an eye on the 14 gallon one because it does not take no time for them to go haywire and then u have a mess! I learned this the hard way!!!! Hope you enjoyed my pics and story.
Leslie

leslie

UPDATE: We still have flatworms. I am so scared to use the flatworm exit. Have not changed out crushed coral bed yet, that will happen after we get rid of the flatworms. My clowns are doing great. They all 4 stay right together and swim all over the tank. They are growing fast too! I will post pics in the next few days.
Leslie

Doogle

Use flatworm exit, make sure to have a lot of carbon on hand and remove as many as possible.
I would remove the crushed coral, treat the flatworms until all are gone then add sand.

leslie

Well we have decided not to go with a sand bottom on our 28 gallon, we are going to keep the crushed coral in there and just clean it really, really well. We dont need anymore sick fish or not do the change over in the approriate amount of time. Our fish and corals are doing great. Just the flat worm problem. I am still building my confidence up with using it. We have had flat worm exit for 3 weeks now and I am so scared to use it. I dont want to use a chemicel for anything. However we are going to have to do something soon because the flatworm problem is getting way out of control!!! OMG, i dont know what to do. So scared of killing everything!! :(

leslie

Here is a few close up pics...

28newsetup7_zps33acdaa8.jpg

leslie

platecoral_zps559d789a.jpg

This is my plate coral....could not get a good whole pic of it because it has gotten so large. It is now about 8" or more across.