My 1st coral but cant remember what its called.

LiVEWiRE

This is a picture of the 1st and only coral so far that I have added to my tank but I cant remember the name of it. I looked at so many but this was the one that caught my eye. So what type is it. And any pointers on making sure that it thrives and is healthy. It was not the cheapest one but also not the most expensive. But the guy at the LFS said it was a hardy one. Also just so you know I have a metal halide 175 watt bell pendant light with the 14,000k or 15,000 k Light in it. And also lunar led lights for night.

Coral1_Medium_.jpg

aquaman3680

It is a balstomussa welsi. These corals are not very hardy or easy to take care of. It will take some trial and error with them. Sometimes they like high flow and high light while others like low light and high flow. You will have to just move it around until you find "its place" Generally they like moderate flow and light. Good luck!

Matt

framerguy

Looks like Blastomussa welsi. Nice color, congratulations my friend! It does well in moderate lighting and will grow "fairly" large if fed meaty stuff. If the lights seem to bright, keep it lower in the tank.

Melanie

I agree as well. Looks like a Blasto. Mine didn't fare too well. Hope yours do better. I would disagree with the LFS that they are hardy/beginner corals. I think zoanthids, mushrooms, and xenia are much easier/hardy.

LiVEWiRE

Looks like Blastomussa welsi. Nice color, congratulations my friend! It does well in moderate lighting and will grow "fairly" large if fed meaty stuff. If the lights seem to bright, keep it lower in the tank.

That brings up another question Framerguy. What do you mean when you say meaty stuff. So far I have gotten Zoplan, Phytoplan, And Marine snow to feed the corals. One guy told me to just mix the Zoplan and Phytoplan together and use that. And I was also told that the marine snow is good. Also thanks to everyone for helping me know what my coral was called.

framerguy

They will eat tiny bits of shrimp, fish.. ya know..meaty stuff. And will grow accordingly to the volume of food you feed! Mine have doubled in size in 60 days. I feed mine the same mush I feed my other fish and carnivorous corals, I just "target feed" it with a tiny baster (like for dosing baby meds), I got it at Ingles. There are some good mush recipes here, use the search button and chose the one you like most. Good luck! and Have Fun!

LiVEWiRE

Well as you can see my coral has 3 blooms. They are much better looking than they were yesterday. Its like it pumped up. But 2 other questions. I have my light directly on 2 of the 3 blooms the 3rd bloom is getting light but not directly. does the coral in itself share the light for all blooms if only one or two are getting light for four or even seven?

Also where do I locate the mouth of a coral with different blooms? or are there mouths on all blooms?