My 16 year old fish were electrocuted

Denise P

Hi all,

Tonight a catastrophic event happen in my tank. I have had the same three fish (large silver dollar, at least 6 inches) for over 16 years. We have been through a lot and I have had them since college, when my mom took care of them. I have nursed them back to health and such. So tonight, my Rena water heater malfunctioned and electrocuted the fish. I heard a bubbling sound and smelled fire. I actually thought my house was on fire.... the water was grey and there was singeing around the top of the water with a terrible smell. I tired to get the fish into a secondary tank but they lasted less than a half hour. Their gills were fire red and their tails singed... I am absolutely devaststed... 16 years

DaveK

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

If it's any consolation just about everyone that has kept aquariums any length of time has had a total loss of one sort or another.

I suspect your heater cracked, water got into it and the resulting reaction of everything killed your fish.

About all you can do is tear the tank down and set it up again. Obviously your going to replace the heater, most likely with a different brand.