MY 135gal DREAM COMING TRUE

framerguy

No problem. Just remember that once the algae gets under control you may have to actually feed the algae eaters some nori to keep them happy or remove some of them. I personally like a little green in my tank so you could grow algae in the refugium and put some in the DT from time to time.

Be careful with the hermits, some are better than others. You only want blue legs or scarlet legs...but not RED legs. Make sure if they are scarlet legs that they have the yellow eyestalks. other wise they would be meat eaters and could bother you corals and fish. It's also important to know which kinds of snails you got because they have different diets, landscape and temperature requirements. Check out the snail thread...http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/indepth-topics-disscussion/22469-snails.html...

This is fun ...isn't it! Nice pickups for the algae control.

Edd13

sorry about the loss bro...
it could have been a few things .... some gobies will fight and algae blennies can get agresive tword gobies and blennies... another culprit might be your peramiters; give them a look see; it might have indused shock if to out of wack

WatchinFish

water change yetsterday and my water peramiters are back to normal. i still have a little bit of algae. but its diffrent this time. i think what it was before was brown algae and now i seem to have some long green algae. hopefully that crap will be gone soon.
cant wait to put my first boght coral in there. so far i have a fether duster and some clove polyps that came on my rock (super annoying clove polyps grow everwhere and i cant seem to stop them growing were i dont what them. any tips?) and seem to be doing really well.

framerguy

What a problem to have! I can't GET clove polyps to grow at all, so I certainly don't have any advice on keeping them at bay. Feather dusters can also be challenging to keep and often need a fairly large refugium for success. Target feeding with DT's Phytoplankton can be a big help. Just remember to no overdo DT's as it can lead to algae outbreaks if abused.

tex5620

Quick question for ya. What are the deminsions of your 60gallon sump. Does it take up all the space under your tank. And do u have a refugium in the sump or seperate. I keep debating on whether to have a sump/refugium or seperate.

WatchinFish

Quick question for ya. What are the deminsions of your 60gallon sump. Does it take up all the space under your tank. And do u have a refugium in the sump or seperate. I keep debating on whether to have a sump/refugium or seperate.

you know i never really figured out how to make a refugium. the sump is 48 x 15 x 17 and it does take up a lot of room but there still room for chiller.

ok so my sump is divided into 3 sections. the fist section is for the inlet and the protien skimmer. the middle has mud, sand and some live rock(but no plants, if you can help me turn the middle part into a refugium i would greatly appreciate it). and then the last section just has my return pump in it(seems like i got room left in this section).
hope thats helps you a bit.
:thumber:

tex5620

Crap just throw a light on the middle section with some cheato and there u go. I have never dealt with the mud before but I don't think it will be a problem. What does everybody else think. He almost has one in the middle section.

tex5620

What did u have to do with your canapy to make it fit over the lights. I am thinking of getting those lights when I upgrade to a 180 gallon but wonder about the canopy.

WatchinFish

well i havnt done it yet cause im waiting to get a chiller cause i know its gonna heat up to much. ok lets see hard to describe but ill try by best. there are little brackets(little extended peices of wood) in the canopy( the ones that actually are holding the conopy up) im going to take the those off the sides(far ends of tank) then im going to make new ones in the back were there arnt any. my light would fit perfectly if it wasnt for those little brackets. then im gonna put some computer fans(one on each side) to help ventilate.

WatchinFish

Crap just throw a light on the middle section with some cheato and there u go. I have never dealt with the mud before but I don't think it will be a problem. What does everybody else think. He almost has one in the middle section.

thats sounds easy. how much cheato should i put and what kind of light. also then what do i do just throw in some brine shrimp eggs or something? then i have to pick them out with a net and feed my fish. see what i mean, i have no clue how to go about doing this. thanks for the help.

WatchinFish

ok guys check it out. my friends bought me a aligator pipefish(nice friends). but after resurching i found out it wasnt the fish for me. soooooooooooo i took him back to the LFS for credit and since the LFS gets his new shipment in today im gonna go and pick a new fish:yup:. ok so not sure what to get. what do you guys suggest. im up for any suggestions.
:rougiem:

lcstorc

Sounds like you are well on your way to a fuge in your center compartment. Almost any light will do but be sure it is waterproof or rated for outside use. Many people use the curly q light bulbs and have great success. Pods should produce great in the cheato and mud and then get into the tank when the water exits into the return chamber and back to the tank.
I made my fish recommendations on the other thread.

WatchinFish

loll ya i got that recomendation. thanks. umm will the cheato be able to go thru my sponge to get to the return pump chamger.
i have a spounge i keep basically like a bubble trap in between the baffles.

WatchinFish

new fish added. lepord wrasse. but he is a hider. i havent seen him for 3 days. wonder how he will get his share of food when he doesnt come out during feeding time.

Craig Manoukian

Leopard Wrasses have very specific diet requirements and a low survival rate. Do your research to make sure your covering all the bases.

framerguy

umm will the cheato be able to go thru my sponge to get to the return pump chamger.
i have a spounge i keep basically like a bubble trap in between the baffles.
I highly doubt it.

You won't need much to start a colony of Cheato. Maybe a softball size bunch. Then you will be culling it and tossing it in no time!

WatchinFish

UPDATE!!! ok so about the lepord wrasse. i still havnt seen him and its been over a week(maybe dead but water perams are perfect, no signs of contamination). and i added a yellow tang to hopfully help with my hair algae. i definetly need to do something about this hair algae cause it is getting on my nerves. i dont want to add corals until its all gone. any ideas? i have tuns of hermits, a lawnmower blenny, yellow tang, flame angel, tuxedo urchin, and a bunch of different snails i use as my algae cleaning crew. and tomorow i think ima get a pink urchin.

oh and something weird. i have noticed for a while now that every once in a while a puff of whitish resin will come out from behide the live rock. i cant figure this out. its so weird. any clues?