My 135 Gallon....

Michael_Lambert

Soo,

As some of you know i consolidated my tanks.. Went from running 4 tanks down to running two :)

135 gallon reef tank, 90 gallon reef tank, 90 gallon Preditor tank and 30 gallon clown tank..

well i have condenced it to a 90 gallon Reef tank seen here ( 90 gallon reef ) and this tank!

Gone from running my old 135 gallon reef tank 2x 250 watt Heaters 2x 250 watt Metal halides 3x 175 watt metal halides and 2x 140 watt VHOs ( Over a 6 foot tank ) down now to running 2x 140 watt VHO and 2x 40 watt NO bulbs over the tank, and only keeping a couple of softies and my fish in there :)

Total of around 200 pound of rock in the tank and sump, with my old fish ( Vlamingi tang, Kole tang, 2 mandrin ( Male and female ) 2 clownfish, yellow goby,3 chromis and a copperband butterfly..

All in all, im good. Reduced my power consumption in 1/2 and i think the tanks turned out much better than they looked before!

I will update with more info and pictures when i have time.

fish1.jpg

Thanks Michael

Michael_Lambert

tommyp said:
Looks great! What kind of lighting are you running? 10k?

Running 2 5 foot 140 watt VHO URI Super actinics and 2 4 foot 40 watt 65k ( Homedepo special ) Normal outputs..

Total of 360 watts :) More than enought to the light the tank, and keep the mushrooms and sofites happy :)

tommyp

I love the color! there is something about flourecent only light that I really like. I can't nail it down (softness of the light maybe) but i always like pcs or flourcent lit tanks.

dwall174

Michael_Lambert said:
Gone from running my old 135 gallon reef tank 2x 250 watt Heaters 2x 250 watt Metal halides 3x 175 watt metal halides and 2x 140 watt VHOs ( Over a 6 foot tank ) down now to running 2x 140 watt VHO and 2x 40 watt NO bulbs over the tank, and only keeping a couple of softies and my fish in there :)

Nice looking tank!!! :smoking:

I’m currently working on setting up a 135 mainly for softies also! Being that you had all those different light combinations I imagine you have experimented with them a little & I would value your comments on my future set-up! I’m thinking of just going with two 250 MH’s & two 160-watt VHO actinics? I don’t care if the ends of the tank aren’t as bright as the center just as long as the whole tank is lit & there are no really dark spots.
The lights will be installed in a 12” tall canopy with the MH’s about 10” off the water’s surface & the VHO’s about 4” away from the water.

Do you think this set-up would give me a good overall look? Or should I just go with the recommended one MH for every two feet?