Mushroom propagation question-

jcoopergd

Question -

I have a rock full of green ricordias - when we got it, there was a tiny blue striped mushroom growing on the back - well, it grew well, to about 1 1/2inches, but now, it is receeding, i am guessing because the ricordias are hogging all the light.....i want to cut and move the striped mushroom to allow it to grow, but how do i do it?

simple cut and paste?

(also i would love to start selling off the ricordias as they are getting numerous and large...)

j :bigbounce

RanRoc

I know that there is probably a "proper" way of doing it, but when I did mine a few years ago, I took out the rock, held/manipulated the shroom with a pair of clean tweezers, used a razor blade, and sliced the caps off. Then I placed the caps in a small plastic dixie cup with bits of rock/rubble on the bottom. Finally, I placed the cup back in the tank in an area of low water flow, and enough light (not too bright, but not too dim. In a few days it reattached itself to the rubble and then when I was confident it wouldn't fall off, I placed the rubble where I wanted it in the tank.
Before you do it, just make sure you have everything ready. Don't keep them out of the water too long. Someone else may chime in with better technique. I have to warn you that you may find this somewhat fascinating and addicting, and you may make some money selling your frags...so be careful. :)
-RY

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
RanRocs right That's the way I do it you might want to see if you can cut the rock just under the mushroom or just cut the mushroom either way will work

it is simple cut and paste

I have to warn you that you may find this somewhat fascinating and addicting, and you may make some money selling your frags...so be careful

Witfull

if you want it to split (regrow in the same spot and move it also) you can cut it,,,,if you want moved only,,then you have to chip the rock under it. shrooms have an uncanny ability, if any part of them is left behind(small piece of foot) they regrow.