Mushroom leather coral...

kyrie_eleison

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have one...well, actually I have two. One looks a little brown and the other is a cream colour. They are both huge. What I want to know is: can I cut them at the stalk to propogate? One of them in particular is overshadowing some of the smaller corals on the rock. Will chopping them down at the stalk do any damage to them?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
From what I've read you can chop them every way to Wednesday and they will grow back. In fact, it is reported that Sarcophytons are the easiest to frag!
I had one that i just pulled from the rock and in a few short weeks is now regrowing where I removed it from. Chop it up!

lcstorc

Usually the trick with mushrooms is that you want a part of the mouth in each piece. I have seen them cut like a pizza and each "slice" grew into a new mushroom.
HTH

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Lynn, I think Kyrie was asking about Sarcopyhtons rather than corallimorpharians.:D

Last edited:

lcstorc

I wasn't sure with the mushroom leather title. I have mushrooms and I have leathers so I answered as if it was a mushroom. I have never had a mushroom leather.
Sorry for the incorrect response.

apjunky

When I moved my corals into my new tank my large TS was attached to 3 big rocks at its base . I cut one of the rocks loose , cutting the coral as close to the rock as I could leaving about an inch round and 1/8" thick piece of flesh on the rock . That piece in 5 months is now a 3"x3" toadstool .

kyrie_eleison

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well, I just checked out someone's propagation method and based upon what I saw, I guess there's nothing to it. I may be doing some coral chopping and propagating later on this week.

Intranick

I think I heard somebody refer to the toadstool leather as a mushroom leather before. a few times actually. Is that the one you have?