Multiple Fairy Wrasses

ivyvine1

Hi All ~
Does anyone successfully have two fairy wrasses together? I have one small-ish wrasse now and would possibly like to add another. They are very colorful and always out in the open and fairly disease resistant. If anyone does have two wrasses together please let me know how it started off at the beginning and how they are doing now and what kind they are.
Thanks in advance!!
:)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have a Ruby and Exquisite Wrasse and there's the occasional chasing but no serious aggression. I had a Solar, Blue Velvet and Scotts together and there was problems because of the very similar colors and sizes among them. Also you can only have one super male in the tank unless it's very large.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Which one do you have now Irene and what are you planning to add ?
Here's some photos of mine:)

142_4257.jpg

139_3948.jpg

ivyvine1

Very nice pics Robert. Actually what I really want is a Leopard Wrasse. The one I now have I'm not really sure about. He is just a small wrasse but since
they are not the same color or body shape they might be okay. I just got back from a LFS and saw a Leopard Wrasse in a display tank - he was beautiful. Thanks for your reply! -Irene

1649Feeding_1.JPG
[/IMG]

ivyvine,

Yes, multiple fairy wrasses can live in the same aquarium. I'be been doing this for years with multiple breeds of fairy wrasse. Here's a picture of feeding time at my tank.

ivyvine1

Oh MY !!!! That is a gorgeous picture :) . I love wrasses they are so colorful. I just ordered two African Leopard Wrasses and am on my way to pick them up. If I can room in my tank, I will definitely consider one of those.
Thanks for your reply AND pic,
-Irene

daveat

i try not to listen to most people about keeping more than one kind of fish together after an experience i had at a friends house. he told me to re-arrange a tank if you have a problem and typically everybody will get along, this was coming from a person who had 5 yellow tangs and 3 assorted angels in a 120 and had 3 purple tangs and 2 yellow tangs in his 90. all of them are not supposed to get along but they now look absolutly gorgeous

rckmtl

As a general note-Keeping fish together that are not recomended to be together is kinda one of those things where if you know what you are doing, you can do it. But...untill you've done it a few times, you won't be sure if you know how do do it or not. So def. a good idea to try it for the first time with species that either are hardy and can stand the stress if you don't get it right, right away. Or, species that you know your LFS will take back if it doesn't work out:smirk:

Either way, Good luck with your tank, and your leopard wrasses. Let us all know how they do together!

ReefDave

I personally keep a redfin (c. rubriventralis) and blue flasher (c. cyaneus) and a clown fairy (c. solorensis) in my 70 without and fighting/chasing etc. at all. For the most part, fairy wrasses especially, are schooling fish that are basically open water so, they dont hold territories that much so, that makes them less aggressive.

ivyvine1

Thanks for all the responses ...... after additional reading and asking questions, I decided to go for it. I came home with a Christmas Wrasse (pictured) and a African Leopard Wrasse. The CW was out the first day then buried himself yesterday; the ALW buried himself immediately, then came out about 15 min. ago and now is exploring. I will feel MUCH better when both wrasses are out and relaxed.

Attachments

• Christmas Wrasse.jpg
    Christmas Wrasse.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 37