moving my tank today need help to make it easier

tomr33

I have an acrylic tank that I have to move today. Its all 1 piece would i be able to move it with the sand and a couple pieces of rock. I know in glass tanks that's a no no but what about the acrylic?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Not a fun chore :(
Lowe's & HomeDepot & lots of other hardware stores sell 5 gal buckets with good fitting lids (you can even get screw on water tight lids for them). I wouldn't take a chance moving any tank with LR in it.
The buckets are not expensive & will lighten the weight of the tank.

tomr33

can i leave the sand in it though? i only have 1 bag in my tank so 20lbs...i have 2 tanks to move really my saltwater and then my 55g glass fresh water tank...the fresh water wont be to difficult though no LR or Sand or corals lol

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
can i leave the sand in it though? i only have 1 bag in my tank so 20lbs...i have 2 tanks to move really my saltwater and then my 55g glass fresh water tank...the fresh water wont be to difficult though no LR or Sand or corals lol

I don't think the sand would cause tank damage...you may be better off though, to replace it with a new sand bed if it's going to be awhile before you start the tank up again.

tomr33

no im just moving from the house i was in to an apartment so it will just be down for how ever long it will take for me to move the tank

reefer gladness

How much of my old water should I keep to put back in...I want to transport as little as I can

As much as you can siphon off the top without disturbing the sand bed. I'd test the water in the display tank now and try to match as close as possible in the new location, at least for alkalinity and temp to avoid any wild swings over a 24-hour period.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
+1^ ...Keep your LR water covered, temp controlled & water circulated as best you can.
Moving a tank is a bit stressful to your livestock & it stress us to stress them :(
I hope you have some good :help: so you can keep your tank as your moving priority.

DaveK

I have an acrylic tank that I have to move today. Its all 1 piece would i be able to move it with the sand and a couple pieces of rock. I know in glass tanks that's a no no but what about the acrylic?

How much of my old water should I keep to put back in...I want to transport as little as I can

In my opinion acrylic tanks should not ever be moved with the sand in them. You have all the usual issues that you do with a glass tank, plus acrylic will flex, and this is usually a bad thing, as it puts a lot more stress on the tanks joints.

You should keep as much water as possible. Any new water you add can contribute to stress of the livestock. The less new water, the better off you are.

Keep in mind that the last thing you want to do on moving day is go shopping for a new tank.

tomr33

thank you guys for all your helpful tips it made it a lot easier to move my tank over to my new place yesterday...just an update everything has been up and running for almost a day so far and everything survived so far...everything is exactly the same just had to redo my LR and I think I actually like the new aquascaping

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
thank you guys for all your helpful tips it made it a lot easier to move my tank over to my new place yesterday...just an update everything has been up and running for almost a day so far and everything survived so far...everything is exactly the same just had to redo my LR and I think I actually like the new aquascaping
Glad you got it moved safely! :yehoo:
Be a good idea to test for ammonia & nitrite for a week or two.
Shoot us a picture of your new aqua scape. :)