moving an existing tank

MATRIXINC

I just purchased a 110 galllon tank. It is currently set up and running in the sellers home. I want to move it to my home and keep the current bio-system intact. The tank looks dirty right now but the fish look healthy and active. Is it worth keeping all the water and moving it in 5 gal buckets or is it better to just keep some of it and add move when I get to my home?

F355GTB

When I moved a tank, I only took about 2/3 of the water, but then again it was only 45 gal. And I used empty water cooler bottles. They make moving water easy if you have access to them. HTH.

John

Curtswearing

I got this article on Moving Tanks out of our research section.

If someone has a bunch of algae and their tank looks bad, I tell them their water quality is bad or they have too many phosphates in the tank. I see this as a great opportunity to do a large waterchange with good water. Let the fish reaclimate, and then hopefully have an improvement.

I got to get home but I'm sure a lot of people will have some good comments for you. (BTW---never move a tank with water in it).

johnlewis

I agree with curtswearing, its a good time to do a large water change and acclimate them. Now with that said as long as the filter ie rock sand ect is not dried it will keep bacteria for a while. You will have some die off but it will pickup very quickly.