moving an anemone

mnreefman

well i got an anemone stuck behind a rock and i pointed a ph at it for 24 hrs... it didnt move,,,, what are some other tricks to get this to move.. i heard that using an ice cube on the foot to get it to reasle works, however i would think that might be more stressful

ScottT1980

Put the ice cube in a bag and then put it on the anemones foot. If that doesn't work, just perhaps wait out the PH idea for a few days. If that doesn't work, then you will be in the same boat as I was. Take your entire rock to the LFS or to a buddy and say "here, have an anemone"

;-)

Good Luck

Take er easy
Scott t.

BoomerD

Take your entire rock to the LFS or to a buddy and say "here, have an anemone"

Why not just turn the rock around? I realize that it might mean some re-arranging, and the anemone quite possibly might move right back, but sometimes, turning the rock to another direction will work. Besides, the anemone will eventually decide where it wants to be, and unfortunately, we generally have little choice in the matter. It will look for water flow & lighting that makes it happy. I have a green BTA that decided to live in the pre-filter box for my Remora Pro. Never see it, unless I really get back there and look, feed it weekly, and it's doing great. Is it where I would prefer it to be? No, not really, but again, it seems that what I want has little to do with it.I :rolleyes:

TDEVIL

do you know why it moved, ie, water movement, lighting, etc

how long have you had it

most anemonies move when they need to to get a better place for them (not always where you want them;) )

if you must move it then an ice cube will work, also if it is on the glass then a hair dryer will also work, These are very stressfull for them, and i only recomend this if you think it is in danger (maybe to close to a pwr head, etc)

most anemonies will move all around the tank until they find their spot, if you know why it moved, more/less light, more/less water movement then try to change this in that spot and try to creat the same spot near by

JMO, from what i have read, i do not own one;)

TD

mnreefman

hey thx for the help, well i wanted to move him because i could tell he wasnt happy, he was actually dangling off the side all most upside down.. so i got it off the rock and i got it to attach to the back glass and he seems quite happy, still hasnt inflated all the way... but its not dangling anymore either :)

mwrager

Well I used the ice thing today on my anemone and it worked, except the thing stung my finger. Now that hurts. It had moved to my candy cane coral.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
BoomerD,
Do you have a pic of your green BTA?

I have one but it is small and i wanted to see what it loks like when it gets bigger (assuming your is bigger)

Thanks...PM me if you do!!!

mnreefman

hey guys, well i am a lil worried here, this magnificant anemone isnt looking all that good, its just kinda hanging there, it is attached to the glass, and only 1/2 of the tenticles inflate at a time... i nope it is just getting used to everything and not dying, ill get a pic in the am as my lights just went out

DocG

How long have you had it?

When I got my BTA it had me worried for quite a while with odd behavior.

I believe that it was due to the acclimation to my lights (I have 10 WPG halides+VHO , LFS had 2WPG PC's).

There is really nothing that you can do with an anemone but wait.

Here is a link to a well written anemone FAQ. It helped keep me calm:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282136

Craig Manoukian

If you think it's really failing, get it out of your tank before it dies or it will really foul your water. Very nasty stuff!

Hope it makes it! Post a picture and keep us updated, thanks!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

mnreefman

update, woke up this morning at it loos like it is toast... all wilted and what not so... i will put it in my 10 gal holding tank, just to make sure it isnt totally wiped out

mnreefman

its all shriveld up, ill take a pic here in a few and post it... how ever it is still stuck to the glass. so maybe there is little hope

mnreefman

hehe my cmaera batteries are dead so i am letting them charge, and yes in the last 15 min hes started to puke its guts out