Moving Advice

Hello all. We're moving into a new house in two weeks. I need some advice on moving my tank. Its a 36g with 40lb LR, 40lb DSB, clown, chromis, blenny, various corals...mainly softies and gorgs. I have plenty of 5g buckets to transport with. Its about a 15 minute drive from my current home. My main concern is the sand. Should I drain the tank to the top of the sand and try to move it and the tank together or is it OK to pour the sand in a bucket keeping it saturated? I don't want to harm any bacteria or critters living in the sandbed. Any advice and anyone wanting to help pack and move would be welcome. :help1:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
How far is the move ? IMO I would move it with the sand in the tank and just a bit of water. I would make sure to have some freshly mixed water in the new location and make sure the LR is submerged.

Thanks Robert. The move is not far. The tank should be dismantled, moved, and reassembled in an hour to two hours max. I do plan to keep the rock submerged in the exisiting tank water. After moving everything and getting it all back in the tank I plan do a 20% water change. My main concern is disrupting the sand. Ideally I'd like to move the tank without the added weight of the sand and the water in order to prevent stress on the bottom glass and the seams. But, I don't want to cause any toxins to be released from the sand or loose any beneficial bacteria by pouring it in a bucket and mixing it up. However, I do think you are right and that was also my first thought as well.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Ideally I'd like to move the tank without the added weight of the sand and the water in order to prevent stress on the bottom glass and the seams. But, I don't want to cause any toxins to be released from the sand or loose any beneficial bacteria by pouring it in a bucket and mixing it up. However, I do think you are right and that was also my first thought as well.

How old is the SB and how deep is it ? If it's well established then I would not remove it, disrupting it would eliminate the anaerobic bacteria.

R.yumaDaddy?

If your concerned about the glass cracking from weight of sand (which it most likely wont) just use a base, ie a sturdy piece of wood to carry the tank. It will most likely take longer than two hours to complete the move. I just moved my 29 last month. Planned on about three to four hours, ended up at eight hours. also keep in mind to level your aquarium. I was also very concerned with disrupting the sandbed but syphoned out as much water as possible and I had almost no problems. I used a plastic bag to pour water onto when adding into aquarium. -Good Luck

Stevenmi

This might sound like over kill to some but:

Try and move it with the sand in it...get a 3/4 plywood sheet cut to about 6" larger then the tank and strong back the bottom of the plywood with some 2x4s. Lift the tank onto the "platform" ....then lift platform to move everything. this will take alot of the point contact stress on the frame/seams out of the move. I did a 90 (w/5" dbs) this way with 2x6's

get yourself some empty absopure bottles and keep as much of your tank water as you can. many work places have bottled water, "borrow" a few containers to return later if they will let you (remember to rinse them well...).

OTHER SUGGESTIONS:
-Put a bowl in the bottom and slowly refill after moving the tank.
-DO NOT return the fish to the tank untill the water is clear.
-Make sure you have good circulation/air in your transport containers.
-HAVE atleast enough water pre-made for full waterchange.
-Get an extra air pump for container circluation.
-Transport the sotfies and corals in bags and transport them into a large container at the new place while you work on moving the tank.
-DO NOT reuse your transport bag water.
-drive slow and avoid bumps...lol

Plan on atleast 6-8 hours to move this tank and have the water ready (temp s.g..ect..)to return everyone.

Good luck..please keep up all posted

Steve

I moved my 90gal about two months ago.I had to take the sand out because it was way too heavey to carry.I kept all the rock and sand under water too. It ended up going thru a cycle and I lost a few things.So I would recomend leaving the sand in the tank.Hope this helps.