Movin' on up from a 125 to 220 gallon tank. I'd love suggestions!

lgerold

Hey!

We've decided that our 125 (long) is just not enough. It's too shallow, and the stand that we purchased with it (used tank and stand) is too short, so we have decided to take the plunge and buy a new tank. It sure will be nice to get the refugium under the tank, and have a nice stand to hide and store everything in. The metal stand we have has a mess of electrical cords underneath.

This one's a 220, 6 ft long, with two overflows. Since it's taller, and deeper, it will be a much nicer tank to display our corals in (plus it give us more reason to buy more coral!)

Now, I need to upgrade some of my equipment.

The gentleman that's helping me suggests that I upgrade my UV Sterilizer from an 18 watt turbotwist, to a 36 watt. Now, since I already have the 18 watt, do I buy another 18 watt or a 36 watt Turbo? Is a different UV Sterilizer better? Money doesn't grow on trees at our house, and I don't want to have to buy another new sterilizer after this one!

We also plan to use drilled PVC piping behind the rockwork for water circulation. He'd like to replace my 1150 gph external pump with a Mag 12 submersed. I was under the impression that the external pumps are better because they don't heat up the water as much? I don't want to argue with this fella, since he has so much experience, but I also don't want to buy another $100 pump if the one I have is just as good.

We plan to use a 40 gallon breeder tank that I already have for a sump/refugium. I currently have a 29 gallon tank alongside the 125. I'll be replacing that refugium with the 40 gallon tank. Ya think that's enough for size?

For lighting, we have a canopy that we recently put together. It has loads of air circulation. 2 250 watt 10K MH lights, 4 96 watt PC lights, and I'll be adding another 4 96 watt PC lights as well. I'm also considering adding 2 55 watt pc lights to run blue bulbs along with the MH.

We've already got a bak pak skimmer, and a Remora C Pro. I think that will be enough skimmer.

Any comments?

lcstorc

Someday I too will be able to upgrade. How exciting for you.
Can't wait to see pics of the new setup.
You may want to add anothe mh bulb. Generally people say one bulb per 2ft of tank. Then again you have a lot of pc supplimentation so it may just be a matter of careful placement of your higher light corals.
Best of luck.

lgerold

I'm excited!

I actually chose to go with only two MH so that I'd have areas of somewhat lower light for corals that don't like the MHs. The PCs light it up quite nicely, but I love the shimmer lines and sunlight look when the MHs are on.

Anyone especially good at aquascaping? I'd love to read about or see some photos of some ideas on aquascaping the tank. I want to avoid that rock wall look.

Thanks!

UV sterilizer comments? Pump comments?

swissgaurd

wow nice upgrade
congrats

i would stay with an external pump,maintenance and heat issues,also quieter,
as per lighting, you may want to go with 3 x 250 watters,one for every 2 feet,
then just supplement with 2 vho bulbs or even use 4 power compacts
it looks like you like the blue look.
you may want to look at different bulb kelvins higher gives off more blue.

as per skimmer instead of using 2 ,run only one.

40 gallon sump will work great

vic

lgerold

Hi!

I originally purchased the BaK Pak, which did skim, but I didn't think it was working well enough (the Nitrates and Phosphates were building up.) I then added the Remora, and the two have been working well together. I doubt that I'm overskimming because I still have some Nitrate and Phospate issues, though the levels have dropped considerably since I purchased the Remora months ago. I seem to have a problem feeding my fish just the right amount, to feed them enough without overdoing it. I'm getting better at it, but it's still a balancing act.

Any comments on the UV sterilizer? I have an 18 watt turbo twist. It's been recommended that I need 36 watts. Should I buy a second 18 watt and run them in parallel or in series? Or, should I purchase a different kind of UV sterilizer? Or, the 36 watt turbo twist?

Thanks!