Most Effective way of removing Aiptisia

What is the most effective way or removing aiptisia

• Total voters

Fish Crazy

I had a copper banded and it did great then i died a couple of weeks ago and now the apitaisia are back - I tried Joe's Juice buy it only seems to work for a short period of time

JWarren

I use hot kalk.

One tablespoon to three tablespoons of water then in the micro for 30 seconds. Syringe it into the center of the aptasia and it is never seen again. Also works on majanos, except it doesn't kill the majano outright but shrinks it. A couple of hits and they are gone.

Mark - "What about the aiptasia eating nudibranchs? Berghia?"

I see them as a pest! I had some of these hitchhike in on a rock loaded with Zoa's. The berghia took on the color of the zoa's and eat the skirts off of eight zoa's before I realized what was going on. I found three of them on a patch of green zoa's and they also took on the green color and eat the skirt off of one polyp. No more for me thanks!

I made a positive match on these nudi's by a friend at HBF and here:

Berghia Nudibranchs, The Size of Aiptasia Destruction!

The Slug Site

santarem85

OMG so i just tried the pepps! 5 days no aiptasia anymore ! i cannot believe they did that so fast! even the ones that were about .75" long :O)

I have to agree with Octoman ... Berghia Nudibranch

They stay very tiny and do a GREAT job of cleaning up aptasia. They have some sort of chemical in them that when they eat the aptasia, it doesn't come back to the same place it was. TERRIFIC little guys. I have 3 in my 29 gallon Biocube and where they've cleaned up is amazing.

You can do some reading about them here

Berghia Nudibranch Breeder, Berghia Verrucicornis Kill Aiptasia Anemones to Control Aiptasia

lcstorc

Why won't my peppermints eat the stupid things.
They are in the display in places I cannot reach without moving all of the rockwork and my overflow is infested with them. Joe's has worked great but there are many in the overflow I cannot reach.
Guess I will try adding even more peppermints and put a few in the overflow as well as the tank. I have tried this before and the peppermint disappeared from the overflow and the ones in the tank are fat and dumb.

Emg

How long have you had them in the tank ? It took my pepps a few weeks before they started munching on my aptasia.....they've been keeping my tank aptasia free ever since....

santarem85

theyve only been in the tank a week! i just lucked out i think from what i read. I wasnt expecting them to work so fast, but i just noticed that i didnt seee the aiptasia anymore, anywhere

SJS

Well. I've tried the muriatic acid - they came back! Thinking of trying it again with more acid - less water. Persistent buggers...

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
The peppermints worked wonders for me...I just found one little aptaisia, added the peppermint, he ate it first day...GONE

rlcline76

I voted Joe's Juice, although I also have peppermints that work well. The problem is that they are buttheads and attack anything that resembles aiptasia, including certain corals and featherdusters.

SJS

I zapped a really stuborn one with muriatic acid - probably need to be reaaly careful. My tank is big enough to diffuse any leftovers...

Origami2547

I've not tried this myself, but a guy on my local reef forum tried this and now swears his allegience has shifted from Joe's Juice to this product, Blue Life Aiptasia Control. Aiptasia Control: Blue Life USA

He posted, "This is a new "Joe's" alternative. Joe's has always been my product of choice for aiptasia killing, but it leave a little to want for with Mojanos so I figured I'd give this stuff a try.

"The product looks and is used exactly the same way. I've just tested it for the 1st time on a patch of 7 or 8 Mojano that have been zapped with Joe's half a dozen times.

"1st report is that it has killed most of the Mojano DEAD and GONE! 2 have retreated into the rock and I can't tell how they are doing and the last (and trickiest) who is on the glass and got a smaller dose looks VERY upset. Will update soon when I know the final outcome.

"So far I like it."

Later, he reported that the two majano that had retreated into the rock were, in fact, dead, and that the one on the glass was in very bad shape.