More questions.

The newbie is back with more questions.

The live rock is coming in the morning. Both tanks are at or around 77 degrees. 55 gallon and 20 gallon

Salinity is at 1.023 on the 55 gallon. Is this high?
Salinity on the 20 gallon is 1.019. Is this too low?

If we need to bring it up or down what is the best way? Do I need to do anything to help the live rock along? I successfully killed the 4 damsels I foolishly put in the tank as instructed by the fish shop that now has my 20 dollars.

Thanks for any help.

Rusty & Amanda

mwrager

IMO 77deg is the lowest I would go. I try to keep my tanks around 80 deg. Now for the Salinity, 1.023 is ok, but 1.019 is to low. I Like mine around 1.024. If you dont have anything in your tank you can add a little salt to the tank and wait then check it.

BoomerD

I agree completely. 77 is a bit low, but not unhealthy if it doesn't drop below that. Most reef fish are from water that can range from about 75 to the low 80's, depending on the time of year, the weather, and of course, the location. I keep my tanks at 1.024 to 1.026, but I keep a couple of fish from the Red Sea , and their natural salinity is a bit higher.

What is the best way to bring water temp up?

Should I draw some water out and microwave it some? Or just let the heaters pull it up? Maybe leave the lights on over night?

Am I going to hurt the live rock if temp is this low?

I really need a brain transplant with all the answers. Anyone willing to donate?

BoomerD

Nah, no extra brains to spare here. I've worked construction too long to eveh have any!
The best & easiest way to bump up your temp is to let the heater do it for you. Just a lsight adjustment though. It's better to change temperatures slowly to avoid any stress to the livestock. Same with changes to the specific gravity or pH of the water. Little changes are much less stressful than big changes.

Nothing in the tanks yet. Live rock will be here by noon Tues.

So I guess I just need to quit worrying so much? I hope that I am not too annoying.

Thanks again for the help.

BoomerD

Not at all annoying. Better to ask the question you think is silly, than to maybe kill an animal or hurt yourself by not having the information
"The only dumb question, is the one you don't ask".