More info on Green Mushroom and Pulsating Xenia please...

lovemyclown

Added these to my tank today know the basics about them but some more info would be helpful... I put the Xenia towards the top of the tank with medium to higher flow and is pulsating nicely. I put the Green Mushroom frag on the bottom of the tank with lower flow...

IMG00176-20100727-0058.jpg

IMG00177-20100727-0059.jpg

ChrisOaty

I have xenia in my biocube and its doing extremely well. Be reminded that they will "crawl" upward if you allow them to come into contact with something closer to the light source. Mine keeps crawling up my rock, leaving "babies" behind. Best way to control its growth is to make sure it's on the highest point on its rock with nothing immediately above or around it.

forestal

tough to tell from the picture, one in focus may be more helpful.
Mushroom is a very generic term, and usually refers to soft corals, Yours from the pic look like perhaps a fungia vs. trachyphyllia which are stony corals. If they are softies then disregard the below :)
both of these are substrate dwellers and will need enough flow to keep them clean from detritus, however, there is a vast range of depths and flow they can be found at, and if wild collected knowing where it comes from specifically may help (we almost never get that) Being stony corals in general they require stronger lighting than softs, but in a small /shallow tank they require less . I have had them do well in flurescents. These corals often will put out feeding tentacles at night and will enjoy mysid shrimp and copepods.

thanks for the help good info and the green are soft

those are green fuzzy mushrooms. I had some on the bottom of my tank for about 6 months and they just sit there. I moved them out of my tank into my 180 g near the top half in light half out and they exploded. Started with 4 heads now there are about 12 or so in just 4 months. Play with the lighting arrangement you never know what kind they like.

The Xenia I found will grow very rapidly. Hopefully you put them somewhere where they have room to spread and not overcrowd the area...heres a pic of mine

IMG_0165.jpg