more flow from hob overflow??

jck9

i want to get some more flow from my hob overflow. it is rated at 600 gph. one U tube and one 1in drain pipe. if i add another U tube and another 1in drain would that get the flow at about 1200 gph. not quite sure this would work so im askin all you diy gurus. if it wont work i guess ill have to buy a new one. are the U tube models better or the ones without? thanks for any help anyone might have.

BoomerD

Nah, unfortunately, it won't really work that way. The teeth in the overflow restrict the flow, PLUS, the bulkhead & plumbing from the overflow to the sump will be the final restriction. Jeff from Lifereef warns:
"Do not add a second siphon tube to increase flow rates. ou will reduce the flow rates through both tubes, causing bubbles to accumulate in both siphon tubes."

jck9

it wouldnt work even if i cut another hole for a second drain. i would think that another drain and U tube would work but hopefully i can get a few more opinions.

BoomerD

OK. Have it your way. The size, depth and number of teeth in the inside box will still limit your flow rates. Why not just add a 2nd box, and not fubar things up?

mps9506

No, don't buy that one. Buy the standard style with J tube or a lifereef style overflow box. The kind you linked to are notorious for flooding living rooms.

mps9506

That'll work. Just make sure you have enough flow going through through their to keep bubbles from accumulating in the J tube.

FWIW Boomer, I like the Lifereef design, I have yet to understand why other manufacturers can't put that little bit of plastic in their boxes to make sure the end of the j tube always stays submerged. But I never had issues with the generic boxes as long as I made sure that the stand pipe extended above the bottom of the J tube.

rDr4g0n

the weir style overflows are the ones that dont use j tubes. i know for a fact that it maintains a siphon when stopped because i use one. i havent had any troubles. if bubbles or air accumulate in the top of the weir, a powerhead with the venturi tune connected to the weir will suck the air out.

no probs from mine so far, and it was the cheap $30 ebay one. normally id agree that cheap ebay stuff sucks, but at the time i didnt have the money to buy a better one. since i havent had any trouble i see no need to replace it.