Moorish Idol

PootyTang

Hey, just another update. I took all your advice, I've been feeding pellets (enough for it to get 5-10 pellets of the medium life spectrum) three times a day, morning noon and night. If i can't be home to do the noon feeding, I put 2 large pellets in a brain skeleton for it to pick at. At the last feeding, I feed some frozen food for all the other fish that don't eat the pellets and I include a a frozen angelfish cube in there along with that. So far he/she seems to be really fattening up (not quite as fat as I'm hoping eventually, but i know it takes some time with them). The really good news is that what had originally been a fairly large amount of lymphocytis is now completely gone, and indication to me that the fish is at least getting a decent amount of nutrition. Any thoughts on any of this?

lcstorc

I would switch to mostly the frozen food with the pellets perhaps for the noon meal. Generally pellets have more preservatives and other chemicals that you don't really want. I love the idea of pushing the food into the brain coral for a more natural feeding environment.

fivel

Man... when you're done with your Idol can you help me train my dog? lol :) Sounds like you're doing an awesome job man - keep up the good work.

Hi all

My 2 cents worth..... After vowing to never purchase an idol again i was assured by my lfs that the idol in his tank had come from his own at home personal tank and was in it for about 9 months. I decided to give it a try. From the moment I arrived home with it, it looked extremely healthy. It eats everything I put in the tank. Frozen, live, flake pellets, New Life included nori......everything. It even actively competes for its share of tucker. I have never seen any sign of disease etc on it and it has always looked healthy. Now some 10 more months later it still looks fabulous and is definately the star of my tank. Another positive is that it has also never touched any of my corals. Whilst I realise that this flies in the face of just about everything you read, and in fact some of my own experiences, I suspect that sometimes we can get "lucky".

As I said....just my take on the issue

Regards

Icee

I saw about 5-6 Moorish Idol's in a reef system at the Georgia Aquarium yesterday! :java:

img0071jdo.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic/reflections.

sneaks03

Yeah i have recently been to that aquarium. The tropical tanks are beautiful...heck they all are. Makes you wish idols were more manageable. However, as things stand now, they definitely belong in the wild.

PootyTang

well as things stand now, its still super healthy. I'm sorry I haven't posted a picture yet, my camera is currently on vacation with my brother, but I'll get some. The Idol is still doing well, eating lots of pellets (he gets at least 10 medium sized spectrum pellets at least 3 times a day) and he's started eating at least the sponge in the frozen angelfish food (he doesn't touch shrimp at all). He's actually the only fish I've ever known to get lymphocytis and not die from whatever it was that was bothering him which was nice. I did catch him picking at my elegance coral the other day, which I moved to my 30 gallon, but I suspect he only did that because the elegance is dying on its own (damn indonesian elegances, my australian is fine, but this one hasn't lasted a month). But yeah, still going strong.

Nowellsy SNR

Glad to hear he doing good i keep checking up on this thread i look forward to seeing pics of him

Good luck with him sounds like your doing a super job!

PootyTang

She's about 3 inches, its tough to tell. She has a little nip taken out of her anal fin, I suspect that's the hepatus tang's doing. On a side note, my LFS just got a beautiful regal angel in, its about 7 inches long and fat. He's going to hold on to it for a little while, but how compatible do you think the two of them would be?

PootyTang

So rather than look at the regal and take that chance, I went with a beautiful yellow tang. The new tang is significantly bigger than anything else in my tank and the addition went off without a hitch, no aggression at all

Nowellsy SNR

So rather than look at the regal and take that chance, I went with a beautiful yellow tang. The new tang is significantly bigger than anything else in my tank and the addition went off without a hitch, no aggression at all
Great news i love yellow tangs

PootyTang

thought i'd add some more good news. The Moorish Idol is now eating just about everything I put in the tank. That means that it's getting pellets 3 times a day, seaweed once a day and alternating brine and mysis (one type per day) along with the frozen angelfish food every second day. It's getting pretty fat :)