Monster leather needs to go

jimeluiz

Several months ago we introduced a small leather coral (maybe the size of a golf ball). It has since completely taken over the space, is pressing against the glass, and is inhibiting nearby zoanthid colonies.

I'm sorry, but she's gotta go. I know we could 'cut her back' and trade off the frags, but then we will just have this situation again in a few months.

I'd rather remove it and get a less weed-like species.

So here's my question: Do you think I could use a length of dental floss to slice it off the rock it is attached to? It's a pretty tough monster. I could start an incision with a knife, then saw at it with the dental floss.

The foot of it is very large and attached to a rock that cannot be removed.

Then, once I have it free - any recommendations for attaching it to another rock?

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2927.JPG
    IMG_2927.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2932.JPG
    IMG_2932.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2934.JPG
    IMG_2934.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 48

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Wow.. it is beautiful! You might be able to simply peel it off of the rock; I recently did this with a leather of mine. If you choose to cut it, do not 'saw' it. Instead use a new razor blade or sharp scissors and make a clean cut. Be warned that getting it to attach to another rock will take a several weeks!

lcstorc

If you have to do it, I would go with a quick clean cut w/a sharp blade. They are generally less traumatic. Is there any way to move the zoos instead? It is a gorgeous piece and I would hate to risk it.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Wedge it between two rocks or wrap it loosely with vail... just snug enough to keep it against the rock.

It's important to keep it in a high flow area so it does not develop tissue rot.