Monitipora next to Hammer?

Pat24601

So, I have an orange monitipora that's done fantastic for me for about 2 years. Grown quite large from a tiny frag. In fact, I tried to kill it once because I thought I didn't like it and it came back and is huge. Always looked healthy.

Now, all the sudden, it's become splotchy white and much less vibrant.

I have a guy that helps me do maintenance and he placed my branching hammer right next to. He's a great guy. Does awesome work. But, was this a bad move? Could the monitipora be losing a coral war or is it likely something else?

The purple in this pic is really white. Stupid photo on blues.

image.jpeg

frisbee

It's something else IMO. Either parameters, lighting, pests etc. If you want to find out just use a flashlight and check a few hours after the lights have gone off. Do this for a few nights in a row and you should have your answer.
It's not that a Hammer couldn't do that, it's just that the damage seems uniform throughout the coral as opposed to right where they meet. This seems odd to me.

Pat24601

It's something else IMO. Either parameters, lighting, pests etc. If you want to find out just use a flashlight and check a few hours after the lights have gone off. Do this for a few nights in a row and you should have your answer.
It's not that a Hammer couldn't do that, it's just that the damage seems uniform throughout the coral as opposed to right where they meet. This seems odd to me.

This is very helpful. That was one of the thoughts that crossed my mind.

mr_tap_water

I would imagine if Monitipora touches the hammer Monty will come worse off and will see White patches around the edges of where it has been stung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk