Mixing Gobies

Bigjacko

I recently added a Watchman goby to my tank, an RSM 250, which also contains a Randalls Pistol and Goby pair.

The Watchman just did his thing for a week and the 2 never paid much attention to each other.

However the Watchman has disappeared, he may be under my LR but I haven't seen him for a week or so....is he done for?

He was feeding well and had settled in to the tank with no issues.

I still see the Randalls pair together.

sambrinar

maybe you had a hidden pistol shrimp or mantis he ran into... no telling sometimes the fish will hide

I had a yellow watchman for a few days and poof gone, never to be seen again, I bought another and he's been in there for a few months...shares his burrow with the BSJF sometimes

the other gobies prolly had nothing to do with the disappearance

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The Yellow Watchman in my 90 went AWOL for 11 weeks once. They are good at hiding, so I would not worry yet.

But, mixing conspefics like two species of watchman always carries a risk. They don't share the same partner shrimp species and might go territorial. Watchman and shrimps can be very aggressive towards each other. I had a mated pair of YW that I paired with a shrimp. The shrimp liked the male, and took a dislike to the female, and bashed the females skull in.

Warning: the photo is disturbing

http://photos.fireclown.net/images/A_2/5/1/6/126152/53dd4c2c27274c61995e6e868ba09f36.jpg

The male and the shrimp are best buddies still.

He is probably hiding in the rocks; but if not, I would not add another watchman

Bigjacko

Guess who turned up today wondering why we were all excited watching him....yup the Watchman.:bouncer:

1Reefer

Lol they are good little hiders. I always think mine is gone too, then bam! There he is again, I wana get him a pistol but am afraid they won't pair. Any special tips here?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Great news!

Tiger pistols (Alpheus bellulus) are the partners for yellow watchman. No special trick - introduce it to the tank and let them find each other.

1Reefer

Thanks clownfish! Hey my LFS is telling me that there is another pistol my YW will pair with besides the tiger. Idk remember the name though, I know I know lol I'll get more info.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Thanks clownfish! Hey my LFS is telling me that there is another pistol my YW will pair with besides the tiger. Idk remember the name though, I know I know lol I'll get more info.

There are other pistols - A. ochrostiatus and A. rapicida among them.

Randalls pistol, A. randalli, the other commonly identified pistol that is available in the hobby, is not compatible. Your best bet is the tiger pistol. It is very hard to ID a pistol past the tiger, Randal, and bullseye (A. soror, which does not pair at all)

Last edited:

1Reefer

Thank you once again clownfish, its good to have somewhere people don't BS you just to sound good lol. Soo glad I didn't buy that pistol, I'm gona wait till I find a tiger for sure.