Mixing Angels Technique?

kouma

Hello,

There is a technique that my LFS suggested in trying to mix two angels of the same size, currently I am trying to mix a koran with an emperor of the same size in a 200 gal. He said to get an acrylic cylinder with 30 cm diameter and the height of my tank and place the cylinder with the new angel in the tank. Let both stay in the tank for 10 days for until i notice the other fish started to ignore the new angel, then release the new fish into the tank.

Did anyone try this before and do you think it would work?

Thanks!

Phreek

never heard of it,but perhaps Michael could shed some light on mixing angels,he has done so successfully and is very well versed in their care.

DaveK

Mixing angles, especially the larger ones is difficult at best. When they are the same size and closely related species, it's especially difficult.

What your LFS suggests might work. You could use anything where both fish can see each other, but can't get at each other. However, sooner or later, you do need to remove the barrier, and if they don't get along, you'll need to remove one of them.

michael_cb_125

This is my current tank. I have three Chaetodontoplus Angels in it. (Blue Line, Meredithi, scribbled) All of these fish have very similar body shapes.

Large angels can be kept together, but it is risky. IMO the best method is to use eggcrate. Divide the tank in half. Add the new Angel to the tank. This way the fish can see each other, but not attack. Over the period of a few hours to days, you can try allowing the angels to interact.
Some angels show no aggression, while others are flat out mean.
IMO the eggcrate works better, as it does not stress out the new fish as much>

~Michael

michael_cb_125

I have had success at keeping many types of angels together. IMO, if the acclimation is performed properly, it can be done with very few issues.

BUT< I DO NOT RECOMMEND BEGINNERS ATTEMPTING THIS, IT IS BEST LEFT TO MORE EXPERIENCED AQUARISTS. IT CAN BE DONE, BUT IS RISKY, AND REQUIRES SOME KNOWLEDGE ON EACH SPECIES' "TYPICAL" BEHAVIOR.

~michael

kouma

Thanks Michael..you have very beautiful angels.

In my 200gal I currently have a 10" blue-ringed angel and a 6" koran angel with no problems. My emperor (which is what I would like to add) currently resides in the sump. My first attempt at introducing the emperor resulted in WW3 between the koran and the emperor. My next try will be using either the eggcrate or acrylic and praying that they will get accustomed to each other. If that succeeds, my next angel to add to the collection will be my blue-face currently in QT. What do you think of this combo and their behavior.

IMO, angels are the more beautiful and entertaining saltwater fish to have, to bad they don't tolerate each other.

Firas

michael_cb_125

I think that those fourth angels will make very additions to your tank. You just need to try different acclimation techniques and find out what works for you (and your angels). The imp. will want to be the king of the tank, and so will the Koran. That is why you are having issues with these two fish. IMO dividing the tank is the best route. it allows the fish to see and smell each other. Then over time interact. Any time you have multiple angels there will most likely be some tension, but they can learn to get over it.

Thanks for the comment on my fish. I wold love to see a few pics of yours.

~Michael