Mixed Clown Breeding?

pronsp

I have a orange ocellaris clown and a black clown that have paired up and laying eggs. I have been successful raising one of the spawns and am getting ready to collect the second tonight.:bigbounce:bigbounce:. My question is this? What will they produce? Could there be a variety of colorations that would come from these two??

Thanks everyone.. I love this forum!
Pam

jski711

I for one don't like cross breeding clowns. The problem is when you sell them to Joe schmoe and he breeds them and sells them as perculas its not a true percula but a cross. It's really a breeders nightmare imo because unless everyone you sell these clowns to tells people they are cross bred fish you have no true occelaris or perc bloodline. You aren't the first person to do this and don't take this as a personal attack please. I have no clue what they will look like either.

pronsp

Well honestly I am just trying to "Save my babies". I am sure there are plenty of clowns in the wild that pair up that are not the same species, I still find them amazing and beautiful. If I can save one clown fish and give them to friends to enjoy then I feel I have accomplished something. I by no means are trying to breed a designer clown to make all kinds of money. I am just curious what colors I will get. I guess I don't think like a standard breeder. Who knows.
Pam

jski711

I don't think it happens in the wild as much as you would think don't quote me though. I was just wondering that's all.

catran

Cross breeding is nothing new, just mostly unacceptable. As jski711 said, it basically muddies the breed. I believe it can be done but I can't speak to the fertility of the ensuing offspring (cross-species breedings tend to result in sterile offspring). Not just sterility, but perhaps a high incident of deformed clowns as well (normally you would get some from even pure breds). Are you planning on culling as well. These are considerations a responsible breeder should do. As you said, you are trying to save your babies, but rememeber there's a reason that batches of babies are usually over a hundred. Most usually don't make it.....

evsalty

From my understanding black occ/perc type clowns are Occ's and your other clown is an Occ so there is no cross breading going on here. Now if your black clown is a Saddleback clown then that would be different.

catran

Oops, evsalty thanks, I missed that. Yes, those black clown, (assuming that it is a black and white, not a mostly black perc like mine) is an ocellaris and he said orange ocellaris (also assuming it's a false perc not a real one). No, not cross breeding if it's two ocellaris, just mixed colors....

pronsp

Help: Emergency

I have some baby clowns that are a month old. I decided to put them in a grow out tank as they were getting too big for their tank. They made the transition fine and then today I noticed them breathing VERY hard. My husband then tells me he had taken the foam filters and replaced them with new ones. So essentially the little guys went into their new tank with probably 50% of their original water, I was not going to change the filter or anything. I thought they would be fine.
They are breathing VERY hard and some are laying on their sides. They will not eat. What CAN I DO?
Thanks

jski711

Probably not much you can do. Babies very sensitive to changes in water chemistry so dropping them into a tank that only had 50% of their original water probably shocked them.

catran

Hope they are okay. The only thing I can see is to do a w/c with more of the original water and hope for the best. No, best to leave the foam filters in the display tank and let them cultivate the bacteria from there and use those when you transfer them in 100% of the display tank water in the grow out. Check out this thread if you want a lot of info. Doni is our resident breeder of clownfish and you will learn an awful lot on her thread. It is very long, but really worth it!!
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/livestock-breeding/32474-rearing-picasso-percula-clownfish.html