Missing Yellow Tang, Blood Fire Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

My tang went missing over the weekend, and upon further investigation today I was unable to find my blood fire shrimp or my scarlet cleaner shrimp. Who is the culprit? I have an army of 20 or so hermits, 1 large emerald crab, 1 small emerald crab, 1 medium strawberry crab, 1 medium fancy banded serpent star. I dont think the water parameters killed the fish/shrimps but I did have a nitrate spike. The spike may have been a result of the decomposition of the missing inhabitants however. I should have paid closer attention earlier, but now Id like to see who might need to take a hike.

Other inhabitants include
-1 fighting conch
-army of diff snails
- 2 perc clowns
- 2 pink skunk clowns
- 2 hifin cardinals
- 1 blastomussa
- 1 torch coral
- colonies of zoas
- 2 RBTA
- Mushrooms

Lots of rockvwork with livestock to hide/decompose without my knowledge. :-(

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I heard nitrate spike. Cuc can do short work on weakened livestock. Bristleworms?

........kill em with kindness "they" always say.

I heard nitrate spike. Cuc can do short work on weakened livestock. Bristleworms?

im not really sure when the nitrate spike came into play so you could be right. by the time i realized the water changes were need the three amigos were already missing.

dmatt88

havent seen any bristleworms

U usually won't. Not saying they took ur babies just unstable water parameters causes stuff to freak out. Stability is the key to life. For all of us :rolleyes:

sk8rdn

My personal opinion are that crabs are always guilty. Even if they aren't guilty "this" time. They will be at some point...
Lol. But thats just my opinion...

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

redneckgearhead

They would have to be some really big crabs to capture and kill a tang and two shrimp. My guess is the serpent star. I watched my brittle star snag my perfectly healthy cleaner shrimp and drag him behind the rocks where I couldn't get to him.

sk8rdn

Naww... it was the hair algae... there is a reason everyone says it's evil....

Another one bites the dust. Pink skunk clown gone. Is it time for a crab clean-out? I think maybe the emerald crabs and the serpent star may be finding a new home. The hermit crabs should be fine. I just like having these guys because my sand bed looks just as clean as the day I started. I also have an army of snails. If I do take the serpent star out and take out the two emerald crabs what should I replace them with?

-Bump-
Another one bites the dust. Pink skunk clown gone. Is it time for a crab clean-out? I think maybe the emerald crabs and the serpent star may be finding a new home. The hermit crabs should be fine. I just like having these guys because my sand bed looks just as clean as the day I started. I also have an army of snails. If I do take the serpent star out and take out the two emerald crabs what should I replace them with?

Alien2100

What type of filtration do you have on this tank, your equipment set up? If you have an overflow, check it for the missing livestock. Over the years I've seen livestock make there way into my overflow, they won't end up in the filter sock, just stuck in the overflow itself.

What type of filtration do you have on this tank, your equipment set up? If you have an overflow, check it for the missing livestock. Over the years I've seen livestock make there way into my overflow, they won't end up in the filter sock, just stuck in the overflow itself.

that was the first place i looked

StirCrayzy

I dont trust crabs or bristleworms, and ive also read serpents can get deadly. Especially at night.
Good luck with removal. Get them out first, To QT or sump.