Missing sand sifting starfish

sgtmet154

I just go a sand sifting starfish for my 75 gal. tank with a DSB. He was moving all over the tank the 1st night, and when I got up the next morning he was not visible, and I have not seen him since. Should I be concerned, or do they spend a lot of time down in the sand bed? How long should I wait before trying to dig through the tank to try and find him?

lcstorc

He is likely under the sand. I rarely see mine.
If you try to pick it up or touch it, it will stifen up to make you think it is dead. Gently place it on the sand and it will bury itself. Then you know it is alive.

AndtheBonus

Yea its probably just under your sand bed. Sometimes I go three or four days without seeing mine and I only have a 24 gallon tank. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jeremy0322

+3 - I have had one for over a year now and sometimes you will see it everyday for a week and then its gone for a week, hes just doing his job, no reason to worry.

molsen187

i agree with what everyone here has been telling you. i actually made a thread to ask the same question. i see mine every couple of days but usually he just chills out under the sand. he seems to come out when i feed the cytopleze(sp) they are wicked cool though.