Mini's Reef Bowl

Sorry for the long gap in an update. 50 hour weeks have me tied up completely and are leaving me tired. I've been neglecting my forum updates as a result.

The move went okay for all of the other tanks. The mini reef didn't handle it all too well. I tried my best to regulate the temperature and maintain the water flow with the air pump during the trip, but I still lost the recovering Ricordea and 3 yellow polyps in the front. I believe I'm still not in the clear with some of the other polyps. I found a worm of some kind the other night, a big one at that. I'll have to upload a pic later. And the snails have multiplied as I keep finding more of them.

Good news is the shrimp is doing just fine as is the purple shroom which has now spilt into two and have taken over the vase and participating in warfare. I think that's why the montipora has bleached big time by looking at past pics. Parameters and routines haven't changed, so I don't think that's a reason. Also my god the coraline is killing me. I love coraline to death, just not on a curved surface.

Overall I think the tank is at about 75% of what it use to be.

jboy43

Hi everyone, im starting up a new system and look to purchase about 50pds of vanuatu and 50 pds of bali alor. Thats subject to change based on the feedback i get. My questions are simple, what is everyones thoughts on where to get good quality, raw, uncured live rock for decent prices? I've thought about livestockUSA.com, anyone have any experience with them? If not what kind of experience did you have with who? Also, whats the best rock out there available right now? Thanks in advance!

molsen187

that sucks about the ric. i never thought of having to scrape the corraline off that sounds like a pita. glad the other tanks survived the move.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Jboy43 you need to start a new thread to get that info, this thread is for a members tank and their discussion. Not a big deal just a heads up, go to the general reef section and click the new thread to post your questions and concerns. Welcome to RS!

Mini that's not terrible news, I know you were prepared for the worst although it sucks to loose anything.

Any idea what the worms and snails are?

jboy43

So sorry guys! Its posted in the right spot...no replies, but in the right spot ; ]. Actually not sure how I posted it here...reading it and too many bud lights...I do not know. I got post happy lol. I apologize.

No clue about what kind of worm and snails they are. The snails are a deep black and are a little bit bigger than my sexy shrimp. The worm is a bright fire red bristle worm of some kind.

Any who I noticed two small white brittle stars on the glass today. Cute little buggers, I had no clue they were in there.

Nothing much. Basically everything that receded back has grown back. I'll get a pic of it before I move back down to Corpus on Friday.

Anya

I apologize for the thread necromancy, but is this tank still up and running?

I joined this site just to comment on this thread...I adore this setup. I am capable of freshwater tanks ( I have a few), but I actually want to try my hand at SW...but I need to start very very small...and I really want to do this. <3 It is so beautiful and unorthodox...just my style!

Ratpack

Anya,
Others may comment, but when starting out in SW, this may be too small. SW tanks and especially reefs can turn bad in an instant if not maintained. One way to slow the process is water volume. Something this small will need a lot of attention, so if you do go this small, make sure you have the time each day to maintain it.

Anya

Anya,
Others may comment, but when starting out in SW, this may be too small. SW tanks and especially reefs can turn bad in an instant if not maintained. One way to slow the process is water volume. Something this small will need a lot of attention, so if you do go this small, make sure you have the time each day to maintain it.

Thanks for the advice, Ratpack, but the (instigator? godfather?) of vase picos maintains that these are one one the best ways for a beginner to start out in SW. I'm going to follow his instructions to the letter and go for it. Anything too much larger simply wouldn't interest me, I'm afraid! I'm all about the pico. ;)