Mini's Reef Bowl

Thanks

I noticed while making my rounds turning off all 5 tanks that the vase's actinic bulb is in need of replacement, it's flickering. No surprise, it's almost 4 years old and needed replacing 3.5 years ago. XD

Houston we have water.

Here's the stuff I bought today. I'm still out on getting a heater as the water is currently sitting at a comfy 76 degress. If I do go with a heater it will most likely be this one: Hydor Mini Aquarium Heater at PETCO
IMG_1169.jpg

Rocks and sand in

IMG_1171.jpg

Filling it up

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

After the dust settled

IMG_1179.jpg

And why I use the Petco water instead of mixing

IMG_1175.jpg

I'm still playing around with coral ideas, but here's what I'm thinking:
Lemon Tree
Carnation Tree
Green Leather Polyp
Some kind of mushroom for the bottom
Trumpet Coral
Purple Kelp

All of this relies on what my LFS has as I can only get small frags and I do mean small. Those frags also being cheap are a big factor as well.

I'm open to suggestions. :)

So upon looking today, I have noticed I have some inhabitants. Copepods, algae, polyps/anemones (too small to tell right now), and some bleached thing that I'm not too sure about. I'll try to get some pics tonight for everyone to see.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Awesome!

I was at Michaels last evening which is an arts and crafts store, they had these vases that were about 28" tall and 8" round one was shaped like yours and was glass the other was a cylinder and seemed to be some type of heavy plastic or acrylic. The wheels started to turn. lol

I got to look for some calcium reactor plans cause that cylinder vase would be perfect :)

Nothing really new to report. Scraped some coraline off some shells into the vase and added a small coraline covered rock (the purple one in front). We shall see if I regret that one. :D

That white fleshy thing in the back is starting to color up again. I've also been looking at the little "arms" and the best I can tell is that it's a piece of Colt Coral.

Here's a pic:

IMG_1217.jpg

Forgot to add.

Parameters are nice and healthy. I'll do a through test tomorrow. Some corals will be going in at the first of the month.

molsen187

have you thought about putting some sexy shirmp in there with the corals. they are the coolest little shrimp imo and that would be perfect for them. you could probably put three in there and they would love it. just a thought i had while watching this sweet tank unfold. how do you like the premade water? i was thinking of using it on a new tank i'll be setting up and have been having a hard time finding people that have used it.

have you thought about putting some sexy shirmp in there with the corals. they are the coolest little shrimp imo and that would be perfect for them. you could probably put three in there and they would love it. just a thought i had while watching this sweet tank unfold. how do you like the premade water? i was thinking of using it on a new tank i'll be setting up and have been having a hard time finding people that have used it.

I have that shrimp on my list of possible inhabitants in my head as it's so small.

As the for the water I love it. I will never set up a tank without it. Everything is perfect out of the box, and in fact you can add the fish right away. I did this when I brought my fish to college. For cycling you add some Biozyme as the bacteria in the water is there, just not in large quantities and you will have a small nitrate peak, not nothing as compared in a normal cycle, do a water change and your cycling is done for the most part. Also the calcium levels are kinda low, but not bad. Just dose a little when you first start up.

The other biggest advantage I think other than it's perfect parameters, etc, is that it's all natural and what's better than the real thing? Your fish just seem so much more happy in it to me. If you wanna try it, do a small test run with a nano tank and see for yourself. :)

molsen187

thanks. i've been thinking of using it for awhile now. i'm going to be starting a 40g soon and think i'm going to try it on there.