Mini's Reef Bowl

You read right folks, I'm going to give it a shot. I'm going to set it up just as it is in the article here.

I already bought the LR last week and have it sitting in my 20g along with some spare LS. The lighting is going to be the same Coralife fixture he used as I have a spare one handy at the moment. I might have a different heater and air stone set up, I haven't decided on this bit just yet, I'm still researching. This build may happen over night, it may happen over a period of weeks we shall see.

I'm not going to worry too much about cycling the vase as I am going to use the same Natural Seawater that made you all cringe in your computer chairs that I used for my 20g. ;)

So let the flaming and intregue begin. :lurk:

Edit: Forgot to add this is one big experiment FYI.......

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Sweet let's see some pics :)

I almost bought one of those fluval cubes today and I though of you when I seen them ;) still kicking around the idea but I am not sold yet.

You'll get your pics once I track down a vase. :p

Bite the bullet and do it! Majority of my little projects you see are spur of the moment ideas. I haven't had a chance to take a good look at the Fluval yet in terms of how everything works. I do know I love how they look and I do know that they are too expensive for my college budget. ;)

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
The only problem I see with the tank is lighting if it have T5 I would be all over it. Plus the filtration is lacking a little :( my initial though was to drill it and add a fuge lot but I have to see if it's tempered first.

There's a few people on here who were converting theirs to SW. Lighting and filtration were the first upgrades they did. You might be able to ask one of them or email Fluval to see if it is indeed tempered or not.

Well lookie here we have a vase, I wonder where that came from. :D

photo-7.jpg

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I am reading up on these links as far as the 40 breeder goes, I can't find anything specific. I have a 40 breeder with a reptile lid upstairs and I thought about using it for a rimless fish tank. Maybe I will remove the top and set it up outside and see what happens.

Nice Vase :) lol put a fake plant in it or something, I know how about squidwards house, I seen that as an aquarium decoration :) at the LFS today.

CurvBall

Great to hear you've started on your vase reef :) Will be tagging along to see your progress.

As for the Fluval, I compiled some what of a showcase here.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Hey Mini, check the plant algae section, I removed the rim from that 40 breeder and re sealed the tank.

Naw I've been busy the past few days. Autocross has me tied up all weekend. I'll try to have the vase wet by Tuesday. Right now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to hang the fixture.

Good to hear!

I just finished hanging the fixture. 3 hooks and some fishing line equals this:

IMG_1167.jpg

Not the best, but it works :smirk:

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 160

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I can't see the link, I have also been having trouble with photobucket. The bad thing is it's the only image hosting site that works properly with uploading pic from my phone.