Minimums size nem tank?

melgrj7

I was thinking of starting another tank, with the purpose of having a sole anemone and a pair of clowns. I realize the tank would have to run for a long time before I added the nem. What size tank would be ideal for a clown hosting anemone? Also, how do you keep them safe from heaters and power head intakes/filter intakes?

Newjack

as for tank size I think a small nem will be ok in a 30 gal.

Heaters I cant really think of anything other than moving it out of the DT and into a sump or chamber w/e applys and for power heads and such I would use plastic screening and rubber bands. The holes are small and its flixble. Still will get a good bit of flow without much resistance. If you want something that more neat they sell adaptors for all of them that basicly does the same thing just looks better,

DaveK

Some of the clown hosting anemones can get really large. I once had a BTA fill about 2/3 of a 90 gal tank. Now I'm not saying you need a 90 gal tank. but it does give you some idea of what can be involved.

Yes, keeping anemones out of the filtration system usually involves multiple overflows each getting a modest flow of water. You need to be very careful about keeping them out of powerhead also. Heating is best done in the sump.

Anemones require high quality lighting and water and well established tanks. Be prepared to wait about a year after the tank is setup before you add an anemone.

Consider that you might get a much better looking tank, a lot sooner and with a lot less problems by going with something else. I know clown and an anemone are a favorite, but using other corals and things like zoas and mushrooms are a lot easier to keep.

melgrj7

I have a 15 gallon leaf fish tank I'm doing corals in. I'm interested in doing an anemone tank because of the challenge =) realistically I may not have the money or space but I think I'm going to plan it out anyway and try to save for it.

Since you said one filled half of a 90 gallon I'm thinking a 40 breeder style tank. It will give lots of floor space and be fairly shallow for lighting purposes. Since it would literally just be an anemone and a pair of clowns in a 40 gallon could I get away with just running a HOB skimmer and power heads?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2