Mini reef Vs back pack

das

G'day all,
I pose a question to you all:

Two tanks both with the same amount of LR and H2O, the same corals and fish, the only difference one has a mini reef and the other has a back pack filter, which one would give better quality of life for the inhabitants?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am not familiar with "mini reef" nor "back pack" filters... so I'd have to answer by saying... the best home for inhabitants would be the one with the cleanest water and best flow.

Hey das, do you mean a sump on one tank and a hang on filter on the other? I have an Aqua Clear 70 on my 36g and I love it. It doesn't take up alot of space and I like the filter options.

mps9506

I'm not familiar with mini reef filter. The bak pak is an adequate skimmer for smaller tanks (I would say under 30 gallons).
HTH...

das

G'day all,

There's a bit of a language difference, yes I think a mini reef is what you guys call a sump and the bak pak is the hang on filter.:)

KeyserSoze

I have a Bak Pak and I've said some pretty bad things about it in the past. I did an airstone modification to it and now think that it's working great. (for a Bak Pak) As for the sump I've heard people rave about the benefits. I would ask, why not both? Each has an important role and if you're thinking of a smaller tank it's even more important to do everything you can to maintain consistent water quality. IMO

R.yumaDaddy?

The sump hands down because of the higher total volume allowable. I dont think anyone has even consideder haning a sump off their tank.

blue_eyes53813

I know people are gonna kick me out of here,,,,, but,,,,, I dont have a sump and I do have an awesome hang on skimmer with awesome water quality... I want more water in my main tank and not under the tank.... so sorry,, boot away.... yikes...

blue_eyes53813

blue eyes runs for the door ducking her head :smirk: :bugout: :invisible :doh:

whew thanks woodstock

Last edited:
Hold your head high blue eyes!! There are others who are sump free and livin' la vida loca. As I mentioned earlier, I'm using a hang on filter and.....are you ready for this......a hang on skimmer too!!!!! oh yes, it's true. I'll put a sample of my water up against sump water any day

blue_eyes53813

HI mempho. Im glad your tank perimeters are turning out good. I do believe sumps are probably the way to go, but I never had anyone to help me with one or quite understood them...(hookups that is).. I do like the idea that all equipment is in the sump and out of sght, But it works both ways... Tanks can be successfull without a sump too.

Yeah, I would like a sump to hide everything, to make water changes easy, and to add suppliments, but my space is very limited. Most die hard reefers would consider nothing but a sump however you can have very good success with hang on equipment. There have been some great advances lately in the technology of the hang ons. Its also much easier. No need for all the plumbing which I have trouble comprehending as well.

Dragon Wrasse

I have a SeaClear II tank, no sump but I have a HOB skimmer and HOB Refugiium...the SeaClear has a built in Wet/Dry filter also...my tank is HIGHLY modified.... perameters are great! .... :)