Mini Frag Tank?

Jeremy0322

You have the fixture i just posted the link too? If you were being serious (about any light in this size/range)i think its time for a pm from you to me:bouncer:

Jeremy0322

So I just want to get a second and third opinion, haha. The fixture that nanoreef is going to sell me is a 130watt PC fixture (two 65 watt bulbs), i am assuming this will pack more than enough punch for a 10 gallon frag tank? Like I said, im not planning on keeping anything too hardcore, and it looks like a sweet light for the price. So, thoughts on it?

Jeremy0322

Two things wrong with that yungreefer. The first is that this fixture is 24 inches, so its worth the extra $10 bucks to me for it to hang off the sides hardcore. And I already committed to the sale, and for some reason I dont like backing out once I say its mine, so ill still be taking his. However, ill send you a pm with someones name who may be very interested in that deal!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jeremy I have a 24" Corlife fixture over my 10g Frag Tank. It's got 2x65w PC bulbs in it. I freaking LOVE it! It looks kind of "silly" because the tank is only 20" but the bulbs in this (and most ALL fixtures) don't go to the end of the fixture. With this set-up you lose (maybe just a little bit) some light in the very ends of the tank. With an "Over-Sized" fixture I have Bulb to Wall coverage and it really lights the tank up. Hence my 13+ watts per gallon but I still can't keep SPS or Clams. Also because of this unit I do have to be careful with "Light Acclimation" as some corals will bleach if not handled correctly.

Jeremy0322

Yea, i have been looking around and I will probably set the light a little higher than usual because i will only be keeping zoas and shrooms in it for the time being. But, we all know how quickly plans like that can change. I just plan on being careful with it until i get used to the whole 13 watts per gallon dealio.

Buy the 150 MH. Mount it 6 inches off the water, if you are worried about heat buy a small computer fan that plugs in to the wall and use that to cool the water. even rig your own small top off with a float valve and walah you are set.

Jeremy0322

Haha, bringing up an old thread. I went with a 130 watt PC light which worked fine when I needed to temporarily house my corals, but then i upgraded tanks and decided I didnt need a frag tank, so that light is now up for sale...lol

LPS_Blasto

I have a little 16" wide PC fixture over my 10g frag tank. It houses (6) T4 Biax bulbs at 13w each. 78 watts on a 10g frag. I can do zoas, polyps, mushrooms and LPS in there easily. Never tried SPS because I don't care for those types of corals.

I did cut the top of the fixture open and mounted a 40mm computer fan on top. It sucks air in from the sides and blows hot air out the top. Runs on a 12v 600mah wall wort.

:whstlr:

Jeremy0322

Wow, this thread gets brought up alot...haha. No problem with that. I actually liked the light I used on it but ended up selling it when that tank came down.