Milky film on top of water

Ken

Any body have an idea what this film is on top of the water in my 110gal reef tank? One side of the tank gets almost too much water movement and the other not so much, but I belive it is enough, that's the side that has this film on it. How do I get rid of it? Ken

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hey again Ken, I take it theres no overflows on your tank? The stuff on top is what skimmers really like, its thick and clings to bubbles real good, maybe you can get a surface skimmer? Steve

lcstorc

Sounds like not enough flow to me. We had a similar problem a while back and an extra power head solved it for our tank.

lgerold

I senond the overflow plan too. And, also increase the water current at the surface. It's just the oils from the food and excreted in the fish poo.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Ken said:
Any body have an idea what this film is on top of the water in my 110gal reef tank? One side of the tank gets almost too much water movement and the other not so much, but I belive it is enough, that's the side that has this film on it. How do I get rid of it? Ken

It's a heavy load of organics. If you don't have a surface skimmer/overflow organics will buildup on the surface preventing good gas exchange and light penetration. Having better flow in the surface will help but not eliminate this problem. I recommend you get a surface skimmer or place the feed pump for the skimmer closer to the surface.

BoomerD

you can use paper towels to lightly drag the surface of the water to soak up most of that gunk that accumulates. Not the best way to deal with it, but it will help. I highly recommend a surface skimmer of some kind, whether it's a good protein skimmer with a surface skimmer box, (like the Remora Pro uses) or an overflow to a sump, many different ways of skimming the surface, and even powerheads aimed at the surface to create lots of surface movement will help...All that accumulated gunk cuts down a LOT on the air/water interchange that normally occurs in a tank...This is something that you NEED to address for the health of your tank.

Ken

Thanks everyone, I have a skimmer in the sump. with an overflow up top. I'm kind of new to all this and this may be dumb but is a suface skimmer the same? I have used a peice of filter materal in a net to get rid of some of it but would like to fix what is causing it, this isn't the first time it has gotten this bad. You may remember the other day I was the one with Bad Problem thread with the nitrates through the roof at 160+. I have made several water changes in the last few days, probably more than I should, but the nitrate doesn't seem to have moved from the 160+. Think this might have somthing to do with that and any suggestions other than take it all apart to get the nitrates down.

lcstorc

More than likely this is related to your nitrate issue. You need to find out what is causing the high nitrates. Choices include. Bad water, overfeeding, something dead in the tank, and an overstocked tank. Have you tested your new water for nitrates?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Ok Ken youve got overflow, you need to move the surface water to the overflow, a fan will work, powerheads can break surface and lock the floaty stuff in place like a dead pool.as for the nitrates??? after all those water changes I would get a new test kit, take water sample to lfs for test, and maybe some pics of your set up?? Steve

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Ken said:
Thanks everyone, I have a skimmer in the sump. with an overflow up top. I'm kind of new to all this and this may be dumb but is a suface skimmer the same? I have used a peice of filter materal in a net to get rid of some of it but would like to fix what is causing it, this isn't the first time it has gotten this bad. You may remember the other day I was the one with Bad Problem thread with the nitrates through the roof at 160+.

Which skimmer are you using ? How close is the powerheads to the surface ? What is the size of the tank ? How many fish do you have ? How often are you feeding ?

I have made several water changes in the last few days, probably more than I should, but the nitrate doesn't seem to have moved from the 160

Which test kit are you using ? How large have been the water changes ? You say you've made more W/C's than you should've, did you match temp., salt mix and SG ? If so then there shouldn't be a problem as large W/C's are what's necessary to bring these down short term.

Ken

Tank is a 110 gal, I have lost most all the critters so it's not overstocked by any means. There is a flame angel, six line wrass, clown, and a lawnmower bleny. Only a few button lips, mushrooms, star pollips and 1 leather left. Did have alot more. The skimmer is a Sea Clone in the sump. Test kit is aquarium pharmaceuticals, I will get another kit tomorrow when stores open, Water changes have been about 10gal twice and 20 once in about a week or so. I did match the temp., salt mix and SG. I'll try a new test kit, get rid of the pond effect and let you guys know how it works. Thanks again to everyone for you help----I ain't given' up yet!!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The seaclone skimmer isn't really good and a 110gal is beyond it's capability, I would recommend you get a better skimmer. Also if your going to get a new test kit I would recommend Salifert. With your nitrates that high you will need to continue to do large water changes, do you have a Deep Sand Bed ? How much Live Rock do you have ?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Ken, sounds like a plan, you never mentioned if you have any algae outbreaks or a big cyano problem?? if your levels are that high something should be present? Are you running any biofilter or something that could hold a lot of detrius?Steve

lcstorc

I would do larger water changes. I do 20% every week or two weeks just for maintenance. When problems occur often you need to do a larger change.
One large change reduces things better than several smaller changes.

Ken

I'm shopping for another skimmer now. There is about 160lbs of live rock. It's a kind of plenium set up the whole thing including the egg crate stuff, crushed coral and live sand is probably about 4in deep. There are bio balls in the sump where the water comes in. I am removing them alittle at a time. What should I put in their place if anything? I'm thinking it may get pretty loud with nothing realy to brake the fall of the water except the grid with all the holes in it. Yes there is an algea problem, the red harry stuff and some very dark green but since all the water changes that seems to be getting alittle better but the powerdery green on the glass comes back overnight. The whole back of the tank use to be purple but most of that is gone now. The purble seems to be comming back on the rocks though, it wasn't gone completely and maby was just covered up by the dark green in places. Salifert test kits are on the way.

lcstorc

If you need something to break the fall of the water use rock. I put rock in the part of the wet/dry that was under water and it not only cut the bubbles and sound but it has turned live and I now regularly add to the reef and replace with more base rock. Adding a light helps it to show growth more quickly but is not necessary. I have lots of worms and feather dusters and pods in there now as well since they have the rock to live in/on.

Ken

Just got my hands on a Salifert Alkanlinity and Calcium test kits. How about these numbers dKH =32+ and Alkalinity=11.4+ the Calcium is 160ppm. Now what??? Can I raise the calcium pretty fast or does that have to be done slowly. I asume the alkalinity and dKH will decrease with more water changes. I thought it was hard to get it up (so to speak) not down.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Wow this tank is way unbalanced, which salt mix are you using ? Have you tested the salt before adding it to the tank ? What are you dosing ? With your alk that high I believe your livestock is in real danger, I'm going to move this thread to the chemistry forum so Boomer can give you better help.

Ken

Here are a couple other numbers I checked the dKH and alkalinity last night and kKH=32+ Alkalinity+11.42+ also the Calcium is 160ppm. My Ph stays very steady at 8.2-8.3. I assume water changes will bring the dKH and alkalinity down. What will that do to my Ph? Can I bring the Calcium up in a hurry or does it need to come up slow? Will Kent Marine comcentrated Liquid Calcium do it? Yes there are bio balls in the sump which I have been removing alittle at a time.