MikeJ's 55gl

mikej11

Hey everyone,

Would like to share my 55gl (re-setup) with everyone. I had to take it down last August, but now it is back up. I left about an inch of sand on the bottom and added 20lb bag of live sand. I had my live rock kept in a sealed tub so that they would stay moist. I have it up and running today and added a Yellow Tang, Regal Tang and 3 Blue Chromis. As for lighting, I have 2x 4ft VHOs (1 Actinic and 1 White). I have a CPR BacPac without biobale setup for protein skimming. I have a set of MH 65k, but will not be running them for now.

Mike J.

*Pictures Coming Soon**

mikej11

April 1st Pictures

These are a couple of tank shots.

228April_1st.JPG

228April_1st_d.JPG

More to come.

Mike J.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikej11

The tank has began the dirty algae stage. I replaced the AquaSun with an extra actinic. I am going to run actinics for a week and let the coraline get started. Water change later today (Friday) should help with the cycle.

I am also thinking of adding a couple softies and shrooms soon.

Mike J.

Witfull

thats some great looking Red X's you have there,,, :) check your links. if you have problems let one of the mods know and we will try to fix it for ya.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
(I fixed the links for you.) Nice Tank! I like the look of yellow tangs but they're so mean :( I tried to have one in my tank but it was too evil and I had to take it out.

mikej11

Thanks Woodstock for fixing the links.

Wood - I have found that Yellow tangs are very non-aggressive towards my other fish and corals. It has seemed that once the Coral Beauty was added, they both became great friends. My Regal still seems very timid and likes to stay in her cave.

I'll post some pics of the fish soon.

Mike J.

mikej11

Well.... Probly some smooth reds, blues, and greens. I am looking to only run the VHOs (220w) so this tank will be mainly shrooms, zoos, some LPS like frogspawn and trumpet coral, I might try some leathers. Still not sure. I like the way I setup the live rock this time with a lot more room to put stuff.

I still want to add a Royal Gramma and 2 Clowns, but I am going to wait on those for now.

This is what my tank looked like on the first setup - December 2003. I took it down last August 2004.
22855gl_tank.jpg

Mike J.

mikej11

Well.. I picked up 40* small blue-leg crabs today. Hope they will clean up the fish poop. :)

Not much for hair algae yet, but I know it will come.

Mike J.

*I had to buy more crabs. 10 was not enough when they are small.

Last edited:

TomV

Hey Mike!

Your 55 is looking good! :D :D

Nice to see other 55's set up here. Your thread got me to thinking seriously of buying some green shrooms. I've always had just the red or blue ones.

It will be cool to watch it progress! Keep us posted!