Microwave water ok?

Once my batch of saltwater is mixed (I use instant ocean), is it okay to microwave a portion of it to warm up the batch? or does microwaving harm the saltwater in some way?

I have a 5 gallon bucket I have to keep outside for water changes. The water gets frigid, and the heater cant keep up. So I nuke a quart at a time and add back in to heat up for the changes. Just starter wondering if this harms the salt somehow.

reefer gladness

I'd be more concerned about the salt dissolving completely if its being mixed at a temp that low. Consider ESV B-ionic salt, its a 2part salt you can mix in about an hour (inside) and then just use a heater to bring it up to tank temp.

lbiminiblue

I have a 5 gallon bucket I have to keep outside for water changes. The water gets frigid, and the heater cant keep up. So I nuke a quart at a time and add back in to heat up for the changes. Just starter wondering if this harms the salt somehow.

erm, why do you heat it up in the first place? And no it probably wouldn't hurt...

meknudson2

It should be fine, I do this sometimes because I broke my spare heater. I do a little at a time until the water temp. matches the tank.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I don't see any harm in it..... Not ideal but if you're in a bind it is a good way to heat the water. You can also boil water in a water bottle then float it like a heater. Both ways work.

Choff

Ok, sorry for my failed attempt at humor.

Red Sea has recently released new guidelines for mixing their salt. They say to not heat the water first to avoid the cloudiness issue. They go on to say it's fine to add that to the tank if you are doing a small water change that the temp variance shouldn't be a big deal.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

lbiminiblue

Seriously? Bringing the freshly mixed water up to tank temp is part of basic waterchange 101.

hm, never done that before...but if the tank is big enough and the water change occurs gradually enough, shouldn't it be ok to put small amounts of different temperatures in?

reefer gladness

Rapid temperature changes stress the fish. Stressed fish are more susceptible to disease so it really is something to be avoided.

Whether you have a 30 gallon tank or a 300 gallon tank the typical water change is 10-20% of the water volume and the freshly mixed water is generally added over a very short period of time. My entire water change takes about 20 minutes without using pumps.

OP said they're mixing water outside and it's 'frigid', let's just say that means 50 degrees although probably colder. Now assume your tank is 80 degrees. Doing a 20% waterchange mixing 4 parts 80F + 1 part 50F is ((80*4)+50)/5=74F. That's a 6 degree drop over a very short period of time. Doing a 10% waterchange with 9 parts 80F + 1 part 50F is ((80*9)+50)/10=77F. That's still a 3 degree drop in a very short period of time, not to mention the colder water segments in the first few minutes before the pumps mix the warmer and colder waters together. That rapid temp change is enough to stress the fish so I would avoid it at all costs.

hm, never done that before...but if the tank is big enough and the water change occurs gradually enough, shouldn't it be ok to put small amounts of different temperatures in?

lbiminiblue

Rapid temperature changes stress the fish. Stressed fish are more susceptible to disease so it really is something to be avoided.

Whether you have a 30 gallon tank or a 300 gallon tank the typical water change is 10-20% of the water volume and the freshly mixed water is generally added over a very short period of time. My entire water change takes about 20 minutes without using pumps.

OP said they're mixing water outside and it's 'frigid', let's just say that means 50 degrees although probably colder. Now assume your tank is 80 degrees. Doing a 20% waterchange mixing 4 parts 80F + 1 part 50F is ((80*4)+50)/5=74F. That's a 6 degree drop over a very short period of time. Doing a 10% waterchange with 9 parts 80F + 1 part 50F is ((80*9)+50)/10=77F. That's still a 3 degree drop in a very short period of time, not to mention the colder water segments in the first few minutes before the pumps mix the warmer and colder waters together. That rapid temp change is enough to stress the fish so I would avoid it at all costs.

...hence the term "gradually"

reefer gladness

Who does a waterchange gradually? I place a high value on my time and won't take 3 hours to do something that can be done better in 20 minutes.

Frankie

RS STAFF

steved13

PREMIUM

I must be missing something? Your tank is inside, correct? If so you need to bring the water inside to the tank, a 5 gallon bucket isn't very large, why can't you bring it inside to warm it up? It's got to be better, easier, and less mees than carrying it back and forth to the microwave.

Choff

Good point reefer, overlooked the frigid part.
I don't heat my water, but room temp is 68-70 and the water floats up to 72+ deg from the mixing pump alone.With my tank temp generally 78.# , after my 10% WC I only see about a .5 deg drop.

Like others said, I would mix in the garage and them set the bucket down inside with a heater to warm it for an hour or 2 then do the WC.