Microbubbles from Protein Skimmer

KDG

My first time to participate even though I've been a member for over two years and have operated my Max C-250 for longer. I've seen the other threads that deal with the problem of microbubbles. I've had three or four times that my protein skimmer has produced them no matter how I adjusted it or the water level or did a 20% water change. In fact, almost every time that I've had this problem some of my SPS died and my LPS really looked bad for a week. (Water parameters were within the acceptable range all but once.)The time that the SPS almost died off, I was suspecting that my finger leather which was huge had released a toxin into the tank so I got rid of it. Still, I've had a couple of these incidents since the finger leather was removed. I just got over a microbubble bout by it lasted for three days. I would just power on the PS long enough to see the bubbles come into the tank and then turn it off. Did this dozens of time thinking that whatever "chemical" in the tank would oxidize or break down fairly quick. So when I did my water change, I pulled up the PS in such a way as to keep the water inside it so that I could dump it. As I was lowering the PS, I filled it with fresh RS Pro salt water. It still produced the bubbles. However, I quit restricting the air and let it overskim for 12 hours but without microbubbles being produced this time. Question: does this sound like nonsense or has any one else struggled this much? By the way, my profession before retiring was in Water and Wastewater so I know a little about the water chemistry.
Ken

DaveK

Micro bubbles alone are not usually a big problem for corals. However, your telling us that this occurs from time to time with your skimmer. This would tell me that there is a problem with the skimmer, and this lack of skimming caused your problem, with the micro bubbles being only a symptom that the skimmer isn't working.

Skimmer problems usually come down to several main things -

It is not clean. Obviously you clean it. Clean everything, including the pump and impeller, and all those small places in the skimmer that are a pain to get to.

One or more parts are broken. Check for wear and tear on the pump parts, especially the impeller.

It's not adjusted correctly. Reread the manufacturers instructions on how it should be adjusted, paying close attention to water levels the skimmer requires.

The final problem is one I doubt your have. It's a skimmer that is an inherently bad design. Classic examples of this are a Sea Clone and Skilter, All you can do there is replace it.

Keep in mind that most established systems can usually run for weeks with out a skimmer. If could be that your skimmer was not running correctly for an extended period, and the micro bubbles only showed when something passed some critical point.

It is also possible that some sort of outside chemical got into the tank. Anyone use any cleaning solutions around the tank? I'm thinking about glass cleaners or other household cleaning products.

mr_tap_water

One other thing that could cause the microbubbles and is quite common is every time you do a water charge or even add some think to water including food can course Water tension which will cause the microbubbles for short time, which is what I think you're seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stackhous

The micro bubbles will drive u nuts with that tank. The only thing that seems to work is keeping the water level really high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk