Micro Bubbles

Megabyte

I just installed in my Biocube 29 a Sapphire Aquatics skimmer. The directions say for the first week leave the gate valve all the way down. This is the break in period.

My question is : How do I stop the skimmer from creating micro bubbles when to start I didn't have any. Will this harm my fish?

Thanks

Megabyte

r2d2

I guess that will not harm your fish at all, but they dont look good at all. Many Skimmer produce them during breaking period, and those periods usually takes longer than manufacturers said, so, be patient and they will dissapear.

roadie31

I had this same problem. All I did was to take a sponge like to one in my overflow box and put it on the return hose from the skimmer. this took care of my prob. Make sure it is a safe sponge.

Also, You are wrong Micro bubbles can kill your fish. There is a disease that is called Bubble Disease, caused by microbubbles attaching to the inside of the gills of your fish. This blocks the fish from being able to transfer oxygen via water to there gills and they will eventually suffocate to death.

I have not seen this happen, but it is a true disease. Just beware.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I have had skimmers "break in" in a couple of days, I have had them take 3 weeks. It depends in the chemistry of each tank, so everyone has a little different experience. Like Lynn said, the bubbles are not such a bad thing anyway. Patience is your friend - only bad things happen fast in this hobby