Michael_Lambert's 29 Gallon Reef Experience!

Michael_Lambert

Alright,

The start of a new adventure!!!

Tank
-----------

29 gallon ( 24 long, 24 high, 12 wide )
250 watt ARC 14k Halide
MaxiJet 1200
Eabojager 75 watt Heater

Live Stock
-------------

45 pounds of mixed Rocks - 20 more to come
10 pounds of mixed Crushed Coral ( as i will have higher flow )
mixed Mushrooms
Mixed Recordieas
Mixed Zoanthus

----------------------------------------

This tank has been setup, Just to house a pair of True Percs that came out of my wifes tank, we tore it down in order to get ready for our new life together.

I have decided to set the tank up in my Bedroom where it is Air Conditioned easier to maintain i think :)

This weekend comming i will be adding atleast 20 more pounds of rock from the 90 gallon as i finish tearing it down, and i will be moving in the percs this weekend! As welll when the tank is stable i plan on moving over my sps to keep it as a sps dominated tank with the clowns :)

Here are acouple of images soo far.. Just waiting for the tank to clear then i will need to clean the glass for more pictures.!

29GJuly4_2005.jpg

29GJuly4_20052.jpg

Thanks
Michael.

Michael_Lambert

Here are acouple more shots, Of the tank, The tank in the room, and the Canopy.. Its a cheap pine Box :) With a opening in the top for two reason, Helps light the room ( Expensive night light! and lets the hot air out.

The room temp has been adjusted to 72 degrees.. Maintaining the tank temp at 79-80

29GJuly4_20053.jpg

29GJuly4_20054.jpg

29GJuly4_20055.jpg

29GJuly4_20056.jpg

Thanks
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

mkpaulson

Looking good :bigbounce looks like you have some nice pieces of Live rock, can't wait to see it come alive.

Michael_Lambert

Well..

Came home today from work, and felt i could not wait till the weekend! :( So i stole 15 pounds more out of my main tank Figured it would be a nice mix..

Also was SHOCKED!.. as i had tossed in a old Cocco worm shell into the tank just for looks.. i have had it for months in my main tank and never seen the worm so i figured the dam thing died on me months ago! But i was shocked to see it today sticking out :)

As well here is a shot of the canopy .. Very Basic! Still needs to be finished.. will be adding a exsaust fan.. as well cutting out the back to fit a hang on filter for carbon and Macro alage!

29GJuly5_2005.jpg

29GJuly5_20052.jpg

29GJuly5_20053.jpg

29GJuly5_20054.jpg

Comments welcome :)

Michael

corvettephreek

you might want to cut 2 holes in the back of that canopy to put cooling fans in, maybe regular computer fans (4") and run them off of a 12VDC transformer/AC adaptor. it would be less expensive than other fans, and you would save money on your AC by running the AC cooler then normal. my setup cost me about 15 bucks with 2 fans, AC adaptor, and some solder. that MH will love you for it!!! :)

Michael_Lambert

I will be adding atleast one fan.. Got a nice big 4 inch Muffin fan.. Going to use it to suck the air out of the canopy... Trying not to have too much blow into the canopy as i do not want too much evap caused from fans running over the waters surface!

corvettephreek

true, my 20L evaps about 3 gallons a week or so..... but if you do a closed circulation loop you can keep evap to a minimum. put a fan right on the bulb and it will drop the temp a couple degrees. good luck!!!

Brucey

Only two clowns going in there . . . . O come on, you can stock it a "little" heavier than that. How about a couple oc chromis or something.
Brucey

Craig Manoukian

Actually, two clowns would be about perfect for the 29 gallon. Given the displacement for the live rock and the fact that it's a tall vs long tank, that's about the maximum adult fish length the tank can accomodate.

Michael_Lambert

Well its a good thing that my Clams do fit in this tank, So i will be upgrading it to a 4 foot 65 gallon.. lol, DAMIT.. Setup a small tank to conserve money and im upgrading already :p