MH vs. T5, my experience

Rhodes19

Hi BigJay,

Thanks for the info. I used to grow lots of different types of house plants and would do the same thing with them if I wanted to have them grow out and bushy. I'll have to try the same thing with some of my corals and see what happens. I like the idea of getting a stable base, less chance of a turbo knocking things over. :) I have a green acro frag that is starting to grow tall and branch. I'll have to see if I can get it to do the same thing. Keep the pictures coming. :thumbup:

BigJay

some Acros are easiest to manipulate by selective fragging. Sometimes if you try to manipulate some acros by turning or shading you'll just loose that part of the colony. My tort for example, doesn't like being turned and reacts quite negatively to the movement. Probably because they aren't as fast growing as some of the other corals. but you can manipulate the branching just like some bushes. Just top one section and it will start to branch. Frag branches moving in the direction you don't want.
Not to say your acro won't do what I did with my birdsnest but I'd feel horrible if you turned it and the whole thing bleached and died. I would honestly attach it where you want facing up like a normal acro and just manipulate it threw cutting to get it to grow outward then let it turn upward on its own.

Rhodes19

some Acros are easiest to manipulate by selective fragging. Sometimes if you try to manipulate some acros by turning or shading you'll just loose that part of the colony. My tort for example, doesn't like being turned and reacts quite negatively to the movement. Probably because they aren't as fast growing as some of the other corals. but you can manipulate the branching just like some bushes. Just top one section and it will start to branch. Frag branches moving in the direction you don't want.
Not to say your acro won't do what I did with my birdsnest but I'd feel horrible if you turned it and the whole thing bleached and died. I would honestly attach it where you want facing up like a normal acro and just manipulate it threw cutting to get it to grow outward then let it turn upward on its own.

Cool beans, I can do that too. :) I'll have to let it grow taller and branch a little more before pruning it. Thanks again.